Homework 2.1

After reading the passage “A talk to Teachers” by James Baldwin, you can understand his point of view on things and see that the author digs a little deeper into history to prove his current given points. He wants to educate kids about all sides of American history, he stated “I would teach him that the press he reads is not as free as it says it is – and that he can do something about that, too. I would try to make him know that just as American history is longer, larger, more various, more beautiful and more terrible than anything anyone has ever said about it, so is the world larger, more daring, more beautiful and more terrible, but principally larger – and that it belongs to him.” By those words I think James meant that the world is much larger than teachers / school system shows us , you have to think outside of the box and know that maybe by some actions and by knowing your history you can change your life now and yours and your kid’s future.

Question number two: Something I really wish I was taught in school is anything regarding finances, banks, bank accounts etc. In school we learn the basics, for example a bunch of math formulas that I personally can guarantee that I am not going to be using half of that knowledge in real life. Or a lot of scientific facts, that also a pretty useless information for me unless I would spontaneously change life path/major and go into science related majors. But what I wish I was taught is about how bank accounts work, when and how you should open it, what’s the recommendations of where to open savings account or maybe checking’s account. More college information such as about different loans, scholarships etc. information. Or also I wish i was taught at least a little information on renting, housing or maybe for example IRS form. I feel like if the things that I listed above would have been taught to kids in high school, it could be a really useful knowledge that when you get out of school and you are on your own in this adult world, you actually know what and how to do it. – Julia K