Homework 1.4

I used to be scared of teachers. I used to think they were always correct, never stood up to any of them. Until one winter day in my first semester of my first year of high school I had too because of the way I was being treated. Although I had to, I still didn’t, and I regret it to this day but it made me stronger and more confident thankfully. So to start off I had this class first period everyday, so if I didn’t make it on time the teacher would get angry. It was also an art class in which I am terrible at art but I was proud of myself for still trying and getting good grades. I would always make it on time but during this time there was problems going on at home, so I came late about three days in a row. We were working on an art project that took about a week, sketching, outlining, coloring, and following the rubric given to us for every project. On the third day of me being late, she was already complaining with her loud annoying voice, which made me want to apologize after class.
So after class I stay to apologize to her. Everyone is leaving meanwhile I am just standing in front of her desk to talk to her, and explain what has been going on recently. It was a big cold room, I was looking down at my old shoes too nervous to apologize to her, and finally words starting falling out of my mouth. I start explaining and apologizing for my tardiness just for her to say it doesn’t matter, she doesn’t care, and to try harder. I was in such shock, and in an even larger shock when I saw my grade for the project we were working on. A week worth of my hard work given a 65 because of three days of tardiness. I asked her, “what is this grade I made sure to follow everything on the rubric?” just for her to say that I missed important points while I was late. I remembered specifically following the rubric but since she was the teacher I didn’t stand my ground and bit my tongue. Which is what has pushed me to stand my ground and not bite my tongue when I feel anything is unfair. I even try to help my friends or even my freshmen sister make sure they don’t get pushed around by power hungry adults who think lowering a child’s whole average is better than being understanding about their situation.