unit 1 narrative essay

Lesly lucero sosa 

We learn and educate ourselves each day. We learn new things and experience new events. When I think about education I think about the education system. The Education system is something that is very important in today’s society. In New York the education system has improved through the years and still is improving till this day. It has helped many students achieve their goals and help their career paths. With public school and financial aid, students are able to have a better opportunity. There have been many events that have impacted me in my life and have been a major change to my education. 

Growing up I always struggled with school. School wasn’t something I was great at. At a young age I often had a hard time with homeworks, assignments, readings, etc. me and mom would sit there for hours trying to solve simple math problems. I would start to cry from all the stress I was put into.I would have difficulty concentrating and finishing my work. As much as my mom tried to help me with my work she simply couldn’t. Her being born and raised in Mexico barely knowing English, it is difficult for her as well. As much as she wanted to help she couldn’t understand the homework either. Going into 3rd grade, I was still struggling. I finished my work slower, and was more behind compared to my classmates.i remember i was in ELA la class, we had a short essay to do. It was due by the end of the class. I remember as the bell rang, all the students had finished and left except me. I was there sitting down still half way done. Later on throughout elementary school they decided to evaluate me because they noticed I was having a hard time. I was put in a room with a teacher, she then asked me to answer questions with topics such as math problems , English writing , and science questions . I’m pretty sure I did terribly because within a few weeks, they told my mom I had a learning disability and needed help. They told her I had difficulty concentrating, I would often get distracted and I needed more time to do work than others. They then changed me to a different class called iep/sets class where there were students like me who needed extra time and were struggling like I was. When I had state tests, they would give me extra time. Someone would read the questions for me several times because I couldn’t comprehend it when I read it. My scoring system was different from the others. A 65 % was a passing grade to the other students, but for me it was a 50%. 

My learning disability has impacted me greatly because I would get stressed out, due to not being able to solve a simple problem/question without the help of anybody. I would even struggle reading a simple question. I would reread it several times and I still couldn’t comprehend what it said. I never liked asking for help and wanted to be independent but that wasn’t going to happen so i just accepted it. I had low grades and was close to failing but didn’t. Because of my learning disability my relationship with school wasn’t great. Since I know I struggled, I didn’t want to attend class and developed severe anxiety. I would get anxious when it came to tests because I expected low from myself. Even though I got a 1 in my state tastes, they surprisingly passed me. Going into middle school still, with my learning disability,  is slowly starting to progress. I would still get a bit distracted but not as much as I used to. I still need extra time for tests and assignments but it started to get easier with the help of my teachers. The subject I struggled the most was math. Out of all the subjects I hated math with a passion. It was difficult for me to solve simple equations. I would easily forget the formulas. I think math is unnecessary in life and we don’t need hard equations with letters etc. All through middle school I still had extra time, and was reading questions. I was also a visual learner so seeing things on the board was easier for me. 

Going into highschool years they still said i needed to take extra time and all that other stuff but i felt like i didn’t. I felt like through time I started to progress in my learning thanks to the education system.i was forced to take an extra class and still had iep in the system. I had this one class where  I was the only senior there while people were freshmen or sophomores. By the end of highschool i no longer really struggled with concentration and comprehension. I have now graduated and am beginning college.  Because of my experience. It has enabled me to understand my identity . it has gotten me to a realization that life isn’t perfect, we all struggle through something and we can all overcome it. My experience also made me realize how reading is something I enjoy doing. I now read every now and then and don’t struggle like I used to. My experience relates to some of the bigger social issues such as the education system because there are people like me who are also struggling with learning disabilities. Because of this they struggle to reach their  future goals and fully know their abilities as a person. Thanks to our education system in New York City, students are able to improve because the education system has helped us with providing resources for those struggling and in need. Our Education system has provided schools with extra classes and teachers towards students with learning disabilities and done as much as they can to help these students. This relates to the world I enhance because we as a community must help as much as we can with those who struggle.