Homework 1.3

The “ingredients” of an education narrative can include personal life experiences and anecdotes that shape and mark a person in their life, opinions on topics, and how this journey impacts a person’s identity. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and we go through different life journeys. This makes everyone have a different experience when it comes to education. Some of us are immigrants and this has an impact on our education. As an immigrant, I could relate to the education narratives we have read. All the anecdotes that the authors have shared have shaped their identity. Writing has enabled them to understand situations that we immigrants and people of color go through.

For my education narrative, a good place to get started would be writing about where I come from and the values my parents have taught me in terms of education. For example, I can start writing about how my mother being a teacher had an impact on my education, as well as how my parents always tried to make me one of the best students at school, which also affected my experience with education. Then, I could write about my experience moving to the United States and adapting to a new educational system. When my family moved to this country, they were scared of the education system. People would tell them things that are not necessarily always true and try to scare them. I demonstrated to those people that these things do not always happen if you are dedicated and do your best. Those are some of the things I can incorporate into my education narrative.

As of now, I do not have any questions regarding education narratives.