Prof. Miller| ENG 1101 - OL62 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #2: Responding to Bunn

Reading the book about the content is unexpected and mysterious; it attracts me to continue reading the book. And I like reading the story about the myth, and the reason is we don’t know it was real or not. The reading challenge is when I read for a boring book, it is difficult to understand what I have just read and want to stop reading. It was so easy to give up for a read. For example, I have been reading “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” 12 minutes, I try to eat or drink something, but it did not work. I give up and turn to play my iPhone, not want to read because there have nothing to make me feel interested. For me, I like to write a list when I start to make sure I don’t miss some parts. Mostly, I write on the night, quieter, the more precise, and more excited.

As a reader that I found is the right moment in “How to read like a writer,” it helps the reader write their article to comprehend content to others better. “When you Read Like a Writer (RLW), you work to identify some of the choices the author made so that you can better understand how such choices might arise in your writing.” (page 72) Most people don’t have this skill, but obtain the RLW can be improved or changed the article. The author Bunn began his article on page 71 and described his past to connect with the reader. Bunn shows time and setting. Represented the university and worked in the article, how long he being work on the Palace Theatre owned by Andrew Lloyd Webber, and the job he did is make sure nothing went wrong. I think Bunn choose this was to make the reader feel that it was closer to their life and has resonance when the reader remembers their job. Besides, Bunn uses many to detail on page 71; the reader’s mind has created an image to let the book be more vivid and fresh. Have the idea to continue reading. The questions that Bunn suggests we think about as we “read like a writer has  what do you think about the author use this technique? Is this technique work, and do you want use this technique in your writings?

I think Morrison means reading as a “skill” is improve the ability to understand the book and analyze the content to help us quickly turn the knowledge we have read into practice. Reading as an “art” means the text is no longer used for recording but is endue other thoughts and emotions and beauty. Morrison’s description of reading as “an art” changes the meaning of reading activity by readers who have brought into a realm of thought and reflection by books. According to paragraph 4, it states, “I don’t need to “like” the work; I want instead to “think” it.” This illustration reading will make the reader realize the deeper meaning of reading works. To understand the author’s wish to express sense and full of reader spiritual world.

1. Prof. Suzanne Miller

Hanting,
    It’s clear that you read the Bunn and Morrison articles closely– good!

Also, I appreciate your honesty about your own reading and writing habits. It’s true that it’s much easier to get involved with reading that we enjoy. But sometimes we must find ways to help ourselves become engaged with more challenging reading (like articles for school or work).

The trick is to discover strategies that will help us to do that. Taking notes– for example, your idea of making a list– can be a very good way to “trick” ourselves into focusing on reading that is somewhat boring!