Pet Peeve Text

A pet peeve, pet aversion, or pet hate is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly irritating to them, to a greater degree than would be expected based on the experience of others. The phrase analogizes that feeling of annoyance as a pet animal that one does not wish to give up, despite its objective lack of importance.

The term pet peeve was introduced to a wide readership in the single-panel comic strip The Little Pet Peeve in the Chicago Tribune during the period 1916–1920. The strip was created by cartoonist Frank King, who also created the long-running Gasoline Alley strip. King’s “little pet peeves” were humorous critiques of generally thoughtless behaviors and nuisance frustrations. Examples included people reading the inter-titles in silent films aloud, cracking an egg only to smell that it’s gone rotten, back-seat drivers, and rugs that keep catching the bottom of the door and bunching up. King’s readers submitted topics, including theater goers who unwrap candy in crinkly paper during a live performance, and (from a 12 year old boy) having his mother come in to sweep when he has the pieces of a building toy spread out on the floor.

When it comes to pet peeves everyone has at least one, myself included. By far the most annoying pet peeve I have is when people shuffle their feet when they walk. It drives me ABSOLUTELY NUTS! This makes sense, as I’m very easily annoyed by sounds especially if it’s quiet and then that is the only sound I hear or the sound is very loud. There’s something about the dragging of a person’s feet that causes me to lose all focus on whatever I’m doing and zone in completely to that one thing. I have a very hard time blocking things out so pet peeves in general tend to be amplified for me. My pet peeves, especially this one, probably won’t go away any time soon, but I have to try to find peace within myself and have grace with the other person while it’s happening.

Shuffling is a common cause of falls because sliding feet can more easily trip on rugs, door thresholds, or even slightly uneven surfaces. Older adults who shuffle are more likely to stumble because their shoes can catch on the ground. Also, the narrow stance of shuffling feet makes someone more unbalanced than if they had a normal walking stance.