Discussion 1

1. I think finding your own voice is really letting people see the way that you do through what you create be it photographs, other art, writing, etc. I think that being able to communicate and allow someone to feel/look at things with intention effectively in your given medium is finding your voice. It’s as unique to the individual as a fingerprint.
  2. I think Carrie Mae Weems’ process of finding her voice was being true to herself and what she saw, knew, and how to respond. I would say that her process was introspective as both a woman and an African American. Using such an intimate space as her own apartment speaks volumes in my opinion of her process and how much she identified with the work she was doing.
  3. To be quite honest, I think that the only way to find your voice is to identify your interests and just experiment. You never know when something unlikely calls out to you and evokes your untapped “voice”. I think oftentimes in uncertainty and spontaneity voice can develop.