Categories
Unit 2

“Liking is for Cowards. Go for what Hurts.” – Kymmone Delgado

In the essay, the writer talks about the distinctive differences between liking and loving something. He referred to the term like by comparing it to that of an infatuation felt when receiving a new piece of technology, such as a smartphone, for him it was a BlackBerry Bold at the time. He had experienced that feeling of excitement with the idea of having the new device until a new one emerged then that excitement was subdued. He later went on to describe what it was like loving something by sharing his experiences. He had fallen in love with birds as a result of the initial interest he had in the natural world and by extension, the environment. The deep feeling of passion or affection he had for birds changed the outlook he previously had on the environment because rather than merely being a scene he enjoyed; it was now seen as the habitat for the animals he loved.

I do agree with the writer’s concept of like versus love as I share the same sentiments. When the Samsung Note 10 came out in 2019, I was super excited to get one however, after merely having it for two years, I did not really care for it anymore and that excitement was now centered around the newest released version which was the Samsung S20. The writer mentions the narcissistic tendencies of technology in the sense that people are now so focused on their outward appearance as well as being liked rather than being their true self because showing one’s real self would mean showing not only the good but also the struggles which could often lead to rejection.

The relationship I have with my phone does make me a little concerned because it’s as if I would go ballistic if I lost it or something happened to it. This all came from the daily usage and attachment that was developed overtime however, I am confident that if a break were taken from the use of the device, some form of adaptability would have been developed and as such not having a device would no longer be a big deal anymore.