Journal entry #4

NailBar2What i have learned on the job or internship, i have not learn much in skill but more career wise. Most of the internships i’ve been on have this one similar element that stresses me out all the time.That the person i work for or work with isn’t a designer sometime i’m the only designer there.

So for this internship like every other i’m working with a person who isn’t a designer, so when i get projects i have a few problems. One: the supervisor dont really give me much information on the client i’m designing for ( to clarify i’m most likely designing a bag). The information that is given most times looks like this.

Example:Nail bar

Canvas Bag

5 x 5   

Yea Rich the client gave us their logo, can you incorporate their logo in the design.

Thanks

This i when i would ask what the client wants specifically, i get a response that person that’s not a designer would give: “ Yea the client wants their logo on the bag and um, Rich your creative right? just make something creative!”

That kind of make me know that i should work with someone with some design knowledge. Another thing im convinced that they dont know how long it takes to make a design from start to finish, at least something with quality. I get a project to design a bag and have to finish it the same day, and it not like they are pissy about it, they genuinely and think it takes less than an hour to make a conceptual bag design. They have the design program they understand the basics of the program.

Two: The person you work for don’t understand a the creative process. Timeline for projects are way off. One day 2-3 bag designs. Some i so happen to spew out things that i don’t like but they love so i’m just gonna give them what they want.

Three: Constructive criticisms are very odd i feel for all my internships. I think the supervisors seems very happy with almost all the designs i do.I think they just being nice because im an intern but i hate most of the stuff i do.

I couldn’t find a internship that specifically caters to my major.Im a illustrator major.