Professor Poirier | D760 | Spring 2024

Assignment: Are you bad at math? Really???

Comment due Sunday, March 17

“I’m bad at math.”

Everyone on earth, probably

Background

“I’m bad at math.” This is something I’ve heard from a handful of students (in different classes) over the last few years. It’s devastating to me to hear anyone say this about themselves…let alone my own students.

Here’s a big secret: I’ve said this about myself. I have a Ph.D. in math. I write math research papers and get invited to give fancy math research presentations. I’ve taught hundreds (maybe thousands?) of students math in my career. And I have said this about myself tons of times over the years.

Here’s another (not-so-big) secret: I’m bad at pushups. I don’t have a Ph.D. in pushups! I can barely do one pushup! I’m, like, definitely, objectively really really bad at pushups! But it doesn’t make me feel bad when I can’t do a pushup. I really don’t care. So what’s different about math?

There is something unique about math: it can make all of us feel bad about ourselves sometimes. The wife of my good friend (who got his Ph.D. in math the same week I got mine) says this: “You mathematicians…if you do understand something, you think it’s because it’s obvious and easy…if you don’t understand something, you think it’s because it’s impossible and you’re too dumb. When do you ever get to feel good about yourselves?” Doing math can be very humbling. (If you’ve never been challenged doing math, let me know and I’ll find a challenge for you.)

There are lots of intersecting reasons that so many people think they’re bad at math, even when they’re not…especially when they’re not. For example, do this right now: do a Google image search for “mathematician.” Scroll until you see someone who looks like you. Can you find anyone? I haven’t seen all of your faces on Zoom, but I’m willing to bet none of you look like this bro:

Assignment

Choose one of the following prompts. Then write a response of at least 5 sentences and drop it in the comments below.

1. Read an article on “math anxiety” (for example this one). Math anxiety is a real thing and there have been tons of articles written on it! Summarize the article. What parts of it resonated the most with you? What is a situation during which you remember experiencing math anxiety in your life? Were you able to overcome it? How? Have your feelings about math changed as you’ve gotten older?
  2. Go back to the results of your Google image search for “mathematician.” Find a picture of a mathematician who looks like you. What is their name? Research this person’s biography and summarize it for us. What did you find most interesting about their life? What is a question you would ask this person about their life if you could?
  3. Okay, let’s get personal! Have you ever thought, “I’m bad at math,” yourself? Have you ever said it out loud? How often does this thought come into your head? In what circumstances? What do you do when it happens? Have any of your friends or classmates ever said this about themselves to you? What would you tell your friend if they said “I’m bad at math” to you? What do you think makes people think they’re bad at math? What do you do to challenge these thoughts? How can we support people when they feel like this? (Bonus: respond to someone else’s comment on this prompt; be nice.)

If your response is too long for a comment or if you want to include pictures (especially for prompt #2), feel free to submit your own new post. Use the category Bad at math and copy the link into the comments below.

You will earn participation credit for your comment.

Back to pushups

I mentioned in my introduction that I run a lot. Only recently have I tried to incorporate strength training into my program. I’m still pretty weak, but I’ve come a long way! I still can’t really do a pushup, but I’m starting to get better at planks at least and, honestly, I’m really proud of myself!

So here is one more question for you: why do you think am I talking so much to you about pushups in a math class???

1. Hao Ting

Prompt #2

In the article Math anxiety: What it is and how to overcome it: Math anxiety: Definition, symptoms, causes, and tips (medicalnewstoday.com), the author defines the term math anxiety, the symptoms of math symptoms, the reason that causes math anxiety, and the treatment for math anxiety. The reason that causes math anxiety resonated me the most because it reminds me my calculous II class. My calculous II class was an online class during COVID, I know it isn’t the first time I complain the COVID online courses on OpenLab but I really had a bad time. It was a crisis that my grades on three exams were 80, 55, and 55. I afraid I couldn’t pass the course and I considered to withdraw it. Luckily, I overcame the anxiety because I believed I can still pass the course by doing well on the final exam. I started to work hard on it and reviewed the exam questions over and over again, finally I got a 96 on the final and pass the course. I feel math become harder when I am getting older. I don’t know if the reason is my brain become slower on doing math or the math is actually become hard than in the past, but I’ll do my best to get through it.

2. Houda naimi

Okay, to answer the question if i ever thought , “I’m bad at math,” i will say some of the time yes when i can’t get the answer to a problem or when i do bad in exam. i often said it out loud when im stressed out when it happens , i just sit and have some fresh air and try to solve the problem. many of my friends or classmates said this about themselves that math is hard. i would tell my friend if they said “I’m bad at math” to get some extra help like tutoring and try to practice more no on eis bad at math .What makes people think they’re bad at math is when they just can’t solve a problem or equation.

3. Wellington D Verduga

I have said on multiple occasions that “I am bad at math.”

In Ecuador, we tend to be more strict with math during high school. I didn’t finish high school there, but I always thought that I had better math. I carried that false confidence all the way until I applied to Citytech (a bad idea since I went around 3 years without studying, I was just focusing on working). I barely passed the placements and even had to take catch-up math classes to stay in the program. Around that time I was working my full time while studying full time.

To make matters worse, in the first semester, I agreed to take 18 credits in the CET program. I could barely focus on my classes and the next few semesters did horrible in math. It destroyed my confidence. However, I took a “break” and now that I am back, I am taking it easy. I am aware of my limitations although I try not to be bound by them. Being aware of how I tend to understand math has also helped me as well.

I usually tend to understand less the theory or derivations, but I feel more confident once a formula is given and an example exercise is done. To anybody thinking they are bad at math, I would tell them to focus more on the parts they are good at. You may not be able to understand it in a certain way but thankfully there may be different angles in which you can tackle a problem that may be more akin to your way of processing math. Don’t give up. Persevere.

4. Tsz Yan, Lam

Math anxiety is attributed to various factors, including negative experiences in math classes, pressure to perform, and a lack of confidence in mathematical abilities. It affects individuals’ academic performance, leading to poorer math achievement and deterring them from pursuing careers in STEM fields. Like everyone, I feel anxious during exams or when under time constraints. But, for math at least, no anxiety can’t be solved through practice.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2023/10/preventing-math-anxiety

5. Haris Rao

Prompt #1

The article discusses the impact of math anxiety on students’ academic performance and well-being, offering strategies to manage it. It highlights the importance of early intervention and fostering a positive attitude towards math. Practical tips include relaxation techniques, reframing negative thoughts, and seeking support. My personal experiences of math anxiety may involve feeling overwhelmed during tests or complex problems, but overcoming it often involves identifying triggers, developing coping mechanisms, and seeking support. As individuals mature, their feelings about math can change with education and experience, leading to a more positive outlook over time. Also, I learned throughout my experience in math that it is never too hard as long as you study enough and spend enough time on it.

https://www.usnews.com/education/k12/articles/tackling-math-anxiety

6. Alan Pacheco

I have definitely had difficulties and lacked confidence in my own answers and reasoning when I encounter a difficult question in math. I have definitely thought that I was bad at math. At the time I am pretty sure I truly believed it and felt like math was not for me, or that I was not built for it. These kind of thoughts are very sneaky and very difficult to deal with. I usually take a moment and look for help before I get too freaked out. I tell myself that it is only a small slump and work hard to overcome the obstacle in my path. It can be difficult to deal with these thoughts at times. I think the best way to help someone having these thoughts is to be patient and try to help them understand because once they understand it won’t be so bad for them anymore.

7. Liz Brandwein

Math anxiety can be attributed to many factors such as poor instruction and lack of support. I, for one, used to be really good at math. Then I hit calculus, and suddenly math was hard, but I still felt the pressure to be the best. I ended up convincing myself that I wasn’t very smart, and I just accepted that I was bad at math. I’ve gotten over a lot of this, but I still lack confidence in math because of this.

Being mixed, I found it difficult to find any mathematicians who look like me, but I found both a Filipina mathematician and a Jewish mathematician instead.

Christina Parel was a Filipina statistician who published a dissertation titles A Matrix Derivation of Generalized Least Squares Linear Regression with All Variables Subject to Error. She served as the only professor emeritus of the University of the Philippines. I would want to ask her about the manipulation of statistics in media.

Emmy Noether was a Jewish mathematician for the University of Gottingen. She was heavily discriminated against due to her gender despite the massive contributions she made in algebra and physics. In physics specifically, she came up with ways to relate the laws of conservation to the laws of symmetry. I would want to ask her more about the mathematical component of quantum symmetry because I am currently doing research on this topic.

8. Rosebelle

Often when people ask me my best or favorite subject, I say math. Although lately I’ve felt like I’m bad at math. Usually around the time I’m studying for an exam or doing important assignments I begin to feel insecure about my skills and it’s really difficult to try to push through it. But I try to remind myself that getting frustrated isn’t helpful, so I’ve recently tried to understand math topics in real world situations so I gain some interest in learning. And it gives me a reason to understand those topics. It usually works but sometimes just taking a break and coming back to it when I’m already relaxed works too.

9. Joseph Valentin

3) I always say to myself that I am bad at math. While I still do say this to myself, technically it’s not true. Everyone is bad when they’re first learning a new concept, it’s just about practicing and applying that knowledge. For many in Calculus 2, doing integrals is hard but for me, it’s easy because I’m always doing it so it becomes easier and easier with each attempt…unless it’s a trigonometric substitution, then I quit. The thing is, I know I’m not good at trig substitution so I avoid doing it at all costs. This a mistake on my part because I’m never gonna learn how to do that if I keep avoiding it. That’s the problem, if you don’t put in the practice, you’ll start saying to yourself that you’re bad at math when really, you’re just not putting in the effort.

10. Gurpreet

Yes, I’ve definitely had moments where I thought, “I’m bad at math.” This thought usually pops into my head during challenging problems where the solution isn’t immediately clear or when I encounter a new concept that I can’t grasp right away. When this happens, I try to step back, take a deep breath, and break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This approach often helps clear up confusion and reduces the feeling of being overwhelmed.

I’ve heard friends and classmates express similar sentiments about their abilities in math. When someone tells me they’re “bad at math,” I encourage them by saying that struggling with math doesn’t mean they’re bad at it; it just means they’re learning. I try to remind them of times they’ve succeeded or improved to help change their perspective.

I think people often believe they’re bad at math because it’s a subject that builds on itself. If you miss a foundational concept, everything that follows can seem incomprehensible, leading to frustration and self-doubt. To challenge these negative thoughts, I focus on learning from mistakes and understanding that struggling is a part of the learning process..

11. luka1

I am not bad at math. I am very good at it. Sometimes I made mistakes and thought that i was not strong enough but it was rare. I have also heard that some my friends are saying that that they are not strong enough in math. I always try to motivate and persuade them that they can still succeed.