My name is Jhovana Peralta. I was born and raised in New York City. My first time in city tech was the fall semester of 2019 it was my only term in person. I never was an “A”  student in school but I’ve done better in college than I ever did in high school and middle school combined. The college has given me a different experience than I thought it would be. Although it is through difficult times because of covid I can honestly say that I enjoy it. I think I would be able to enjoy it a little more if it were in person than online. Assignments and homework can be stressing but during this time I’ve had the opportunity to meet some incredible people from students to professors to faculty members. 

My family has worked in the restaurant business for as long as I can remember and I always thought that I ought to do that as well. I started waitressing a summer before high school forced to by my father, and I hated it. I never thought people could be really rude. I was never trained and I would mess up a lot. But I worked really hard that people started treating me better. By my senior year, I was working full time and not as a waitress anymore. My brother and I were left in charge of everything that the restaurant needed. I gained so many qualities from working there. I really enjoyed it, although it was a lot of work, I became more responsible and mature and I was able to learn what it felt like running a restaurant. As a teenager, it was an amazing experience and I learned a lot about what adults go through each and every day.

Academically I have never been certain of what or who I wanted to become or do. Each year growing up I would be asked what I wanted to be and my answer was always different. “ A lawyer, teacher, doctor” But because I never intended of attending college I didn’t worry about it much up until I came in my first semester with no idea what was my plan my goal. I always thought that I would spend my life working at the restaurant with my brother. I honestly didn’t think I would be able to get my associate’s degree but I have it now, making me the first in my family. Although I am still uncertain what specifically I want to be I know it is something with management, it can be running a hotel or restaurant as long as I’m doing something I know I will be good at. which is why I decide to major in hospitality management. I know that I will figure out what to do majoring in something I enjoy.Â