Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Eamon Bolger Coates Critique

I really enjoyed the extreme imagery that Coates used in his writing. Even though at first I believed that the narrator was just crossing over a bridge that had a curse or folk tale. It turned out to be a symbol of the main character’s freedom from his own brother’s enslavement. I also really enjoyed the sense of realism that I got from the story despite the fact that it is a fiction-based story. At first, when I was reading it I thought it was a real story talking about a sort of folk legend about the bridge but soon I was able to realize that the bridge was a super big story element and ended up being a hurdle that the main character overcomes from his families stories and is rewarded with freedom from being a slave. I also like the twist that the main character is his brother’s slave, which does not sound like it would happen in real life which leaves the reader to decide whether the enslavement is physical or is it a nonliteral enslavement where he is trapped in his little brother’s demands. One thing that confused me though was the enslavement the narrator is under. I feel like there is not enough evidence to help me figure out if the narrator is a literal slave or is it a form of symbol ism to him being unable to leave his brother’s grasp?

1. NadreaPT

I agree with you Emamon. When authors use imagery, it’s easier to understand the story more.