Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Felix Mejia, Le Guin Critique

I think it’s very interesting how the writing and premade assumptions carried out how I imagined the story at first. I assumed that it was the opposite at first, that the man was turning a wolf a night. When she said that he went out at night I assumed that he was turning into a wolf since in many movies and myths wolves. I thought he was turning into a werewolf. I think it was really interesting that it was the opposite that was happening. The husband was somewhat ashamed of him becoming a human a night and that’s why he scaped at night. According to how his wife speaks, they despise humans due to how they treat the wolves and that’s why she said that he was turned into a hateful one and couldn’t believe what happened to her husband. I think it’s really sad how her husband tried to hide something he couldn’t control at night. And even though it was clear the disgust that his wife had towards him due to him becoming human, she also felt her husband was still there.

Overall, the story was great and mind blowing, the depiction of humans and the way the author decided to do the inverse of any story depicting humans converting into werewolves.

1. Zlancaster

I also had assumptions about Le Guin’s work and the surprise was indeed shocking. I agree with your opinion that the story was great and also on her character depiction. Le Guin uses figurative language and subtle hints to “deceive” the reader. As you said the inverse character deception allows the twist ending to creep up on you for a surprising conclusion.

2. Rakib Hassan

I agree with your statement about Le Guin and how she depicts her character into seeming very human like when they definitely aren’t. Definitely deceived me when reading and confused me after reading it.