Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Felix Mejia, Jones’ Critique

I think it is an impressive piece of writing due to how detailed everything is. The author made sure to include many details that though could sound unnecessary are also part of the experience and the memory of the narrator. These details tell us how important and how relevant this memory was to the narrator, the details and the way it is being said, tells us that she remembers her first day to school with high accuracy, or at least that’s how it’s being portrayed.

I think it’s very sad due to the situation where the mother is, it is clear that she wants her child to go to a better school, but because of where she lives she is not able to go to that better school. When the mother said that she did not know how to read or write, her intentions were clear. She wanted her daughter to go to a better school so she doesn’t go through the same situation as her mother.

1. sumayah

A mother’s love for her child will forever be unconditional, and I found it very beautiful that the mother was doing anything she can so her daughter would get the best education and grow up and someone someday.

2. Ariel Itshaik

After reading the story, I can completely agree that the mother is really looking out for her child. The tone of the story varies but the one common theme is that the mother wants the best for her daughter and is trying to build her a life that’s better than her own.

3. Yves

Indeed, throughout the story, I also felt like the mother was looking out for her, wanting the best for her, and that’s what mothers do for their child. Also enjoyed the story. It’s well detailed and she has a good narration skills.

4. Yves

5. Aaron Moore

I never thought deeper into why the mother wanted the narrator to go to the other school outside of the reason given (it’s across the street from the mother’s beloved church), but taking into consideration the mother’s illiteracy, that does add depth to the situation and may very well be a factor.