Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Aaron Moore, Jones Critique

I enjoyed “The First Day”, particularly the way that the narrator skirts the line between the perspective of the day they had as a child and the insight and context provided by their older and more knowledgeable self. This makes for an incredibly detailed piece. One can feel and understand the narrator’s childlike nervousness, the disapproval of the other child’s stares directing towards her mother (and the stares she directs towards the girl in turn), and her childlike insight (as seen by her mother not playing their game properly, while subtle, it does seem as if she’s sure something is off). The context added (“This is my mother:”, the reason why the narrator’s assigned school isn’t to her mother’s liking, the perfume being the last gift from her father to her mother, etc.) brings everything together to make a colorful and in-depth whole.

1. sumayah

I definitely agree when you say “I enjoyed “The First Day”, particularly the way that the narrator skirts the line between the perspective of the day they had as a child and the insight and context provided by their older and more knowledgeable self. This makes for an incredibly detailed piece”. The author is giving us a grip of what she was feeling as a child, and in my opinion is so cool, because we get to feel what she’s feeling, putting our shoes in her place.

2. Zlancaster

I agree with your assessment of the perspective. It was a key element that shaped the story and definitely captured the world from a child’s view especially the nervous aspect. I also enjoyed the amount of detail put into this work, it almost seems like a child describing their day to an adult instead of an adult writing a book. Like you highlighted the context combined with the vivid descriptions create a whole new experience.

3. Eamon Bolger

I like your take on Jones’s writing, her perspective does jump back and forth between a nervous kid and a wiser, mature adult. I think that this perspective is what really captivated me and made me so invested in the writing.