Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Nadrea Pereira Tyndall, Gruba Critique

What I enjoyed about Gruba’s work was that it was in Spanglish. That was pretty interesting to me because I only know a little bit of Spanish but of course I’m fluent in English. But I found it interesting that she wrote in Spanglish and it brought a little twist to her writing. I also liked the fact that she stood up for her people because when they hear “Mexico” they automaticity assume if they have publicists. She is bold enough to stand up for her country.

One question that I have is “why do gabachos look down on Mexicans? Do they think they are better than them?” According to what Gruba wrote, ” Rather than look us in the eye, many gabachos prefer to look down their noses at us. Rather than face that we are their moral and intellectual equals, they happily pity us. Pity is what inspires their sweet tooth for Mexican pain, a craving many of them hide.” I think this shows why gabachos look down on Mexicans. They judge them based on their morals and intellectuals being equal. I guess they don’t want to be on the same level with them. But at the end of the day anyone can be a publicists no matter of their skin color or where they come from.

1. Rakib Hassan

I agree with your last bit on “why do gabachos look down on Mexicans?”. I believe we’ve been conditioned to see white people in big successful jobs vs. mexicans working in hard blue collar jobs.

2. Ariel Itshaik

While i was reading her article i also noticed how Gurba was always mixing her English and Spanish. I found this to be another unique quality of her writing style. She is able to mix these in a way that is understandable for readers.