Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Meet My Bike

Living in New York City has so many benefits when it comes to transportation. Things like buses and trains are so commonplace here that it makes any place in NYC easily accessible, which is a luxury that some places in the U.S just don’t have. My favorite mode of transportation is a bit more manual though, and that would be my bicycle.

I have been using my bike ever since I was around 14, it was a gift from my father that had been his bike when he worked as a bike messenger in his twenties.

Although it is not in the best condition and can be considered a beater bike, My bike has taken me all over New York and has given me a lot of experience that I would not have gotten if I had taken the bus or train. My favorite experience with my bike was riding over the Marine Park Bridge every morning on my way to high school. It was a great way to start the day with the wind against my face and a great view of the Bay, instead of being in a cramped and stuffy morning bus. I intend to keep my bike forever, so I can make more enjoyable memories using it to go wherever I desire!

It can be very dangerous at times when traveling  on bike, especially in the city where there are many cars that could hit me. But with the right knowledge of the city and a keen eye for your surroundings it can be easier to know if there are cars near by. Its also smart to take bike paths and side streets, as there are less cars on the road. I do usually wear a helmet, but sometimes I don’t wear if I know the bike path im taking has danger no cars and I shouldnt be in any harm. 

1. Zlancaster

Great intro and idea flow Eamon, it was super relatable being a new yorker myself and not enjoying the stuffy buses or trains. Great use of imagery throughout, especially in the last paragraph. While I never rode over a bridge myself, I visualized the wind blowing on my face early in the morning and felt as if I was there too. Are you considering getting a new bike in the near future and if you do will you use the old one as a keepsake?

• Eamon Bolger

I might get a new bike but it would definitely be hard to part with my current one. It feels weird to ride a different bike when you’ve been riding the same one for so long

2. Avery

Bike riding around the city is my favorite pastime. I have been indulging more often since the pandemic. And in NYC there’s nothing like it. It’s cool that it was your dad’s bike when he was a messenger. That bike has seen many miles. Keep them coming.

3. Ariel Itshaik

I believe biking in NYC is one of the greatest activities for everybody. Not only does it allow you to get from place to place but its also crucial to understanding how big our city truly is. As a teenager, riding around was one of my favorite things to do, because we make an adventure out of the game.