I remember the moment when one of my students ran up to me and hugged my legs so tight I couldn’t move (she was so small, the little rascal). She squeezed harder and thanked me for teaching her how to swim. “Thanks Ms. Anna, you’re the best teacher! I’ll see you next semester!” In that moment, I knew it was worth it. Every moment of frustration, failure, and repetition of everything was worth it. Her parents smiled and waved at us from across the pool and ushered their daughter to go get changed. To me, a lost high school student, that would have been the defining moment where I knew I belonged somewhere.

When I was a sophomore I picked up odd jobs after school to help fund my indulgences. I grew up living very frugal, and until then I couldn’t get a job. I knew how to swim and I had friends who suggested the idea that I should be an instructor. The hours were flexible, and pay was higher than most part time jobs. Other than money, I was looking for purpose. I’ve tried office jobs and helped out at family restaurants; but they weren’t for me.

When I first started my job as a swim instructor, I was super nervous. I had little experience with kids, much less with parents. I didn’t know how the work environment would be like. What if I hate my students? I would still have to go through the weekly hourly commitment with them regardless. What if their parents are helicopters, and hovered over our lessons every minute?

If I could go back in time to tell my younger self something about this job, it would be: “Girl, you worrying about such silly things. This will be one of the most fun and fulfilling jobs you’ll ever have.

I love my students. I teach from ages 6+. I’ve also taught adults, and it’s also fun its own way. But most of my students are elementary school to middle school kids. People believe that you can only learn from people who are older, with more experience. I thought that too. But I have learned so much from my students in ways I never thought would be possible.

Patience. Kindness. Forgiveness. Communication. Having fun!

I used to be very strict. There was a curriculum that every class had to follow; every student was tested throughout the semester to determine if they could move on or repeat the level. My goal was to make sure every student passed. Then it would’ve meant that I did my job well. If they didn’t pass, I was a bad teacher.

Over the years I’ve learned that every single person is different; the meaning of success is different. One student’s success could be swimming a whole lap. Another student’s would be to hold their breath underwater. If they couldn’t do it, it’s okay. It is more important to make sure they feel safe and confident in themselves. They taught me how to be kind. No, not just to other people; to yourself. When a student breaks down crying in the middle of the class, it’s not because they can’t do it; maybe I’m moving too quickly and they need time to practice. Maybe they’re just not ready. And that’s okay, because they can try again later. It’s okay to be kind to yourself and not push it past the limit. For me, I learned how to not stress myself out if everything didn’t go as planned (students failing, falling, crying).

They taught me that it’s okay to make mistakes and to be proud of them. I used to be a stubborn teacher and believe I was right about most things. It was difficult to admit I was wrong, especially in front of the students because I feel like it would diminish my image as a teacher. How wrong I was! When I started verbally acknowledging my mistakes and fixing them on the spot, the children learned better. They started accepting what I had to offer without questions. And in turn, we trusted each other more. Trust is so important, especially when you’re floating 15 feet above the floor.

The best thing my students taught me is how to have fun. Yes, we need to learn all the stuff, but why not have fun while doing so? Life doesn’t have to be so serious! Children are so much smarter than we think. They can read our emotions clearly and adjust their response. One time one of my kids saw I was getting frustrated because the class wasn’t doing too well. He hops over to me in the pool and tells me, “Teacher, I tried my best today and drank more water for you.” A little 1st grader made my entire week.

I love my students! They have so much positive energy, and they remind me that I am young, too. They are innately kind hearted, curious, and sensitive. Seeing their confidence build over the years gives this irreplaceable fulfillment in me, knowing that my job is more than just teaching swimming.

I miss them dearly, I hope the pandemic ends soon. Can’t wait to look forward to seeing them every week again.