“How’d we get into this situation,” I mumbled under my breath. My friend Mina and I were sitting right next to each other, trying to keep quiet from the beast that towered over us. Everything started off as group of friends going to explore an abandoned hospital but, things turned south quickly.

It all started on Friday night when I had just got out of work. My best friend, Jake, had told me that his sister, Mina, had completed an ancestry test online. She found out that their great grandmother was a nurse and worked an at abandoned hospital nearby. They were going to go check it out and asked me if I wanted to join. At first, I was very hesitant. I’m a very shy person so sometimes I get a little nervous when trying to tell my friends something is a bad idea. “I- I don’t know Jake. This all seems very risky. What if we get caught trespassing or one of us gets lost?” I was asking him the reasonable questions. I didn’t mean to sound like his mom but, these are things we have to consider. After all we’re only sixteen, a lot could go wrong. “Hazel, you need to live a little more! Don’t worry though, I have everything covered. Mina and I found some flashlights and walkie talkies in our dad’s garage. We’ll be able to see and even if we get lost, we’ll be able to talk just fine!” He seemed so confident. I had a really bad feeling about this but, I had no reason not to go. “Alright fine,” I said. “Text me the location, I’ll leave my house soon. See you there.”

About an hour later, I saw Jake and his sister pull up in his car. He gets out his car with a bad of supplies. He hands Mina and I a flashlight and walkie talkie and keeps a set for himself. As we’re about to walk in, Jake says, “Well, good luck you two.” I gave him a confused look. “What do you mean good luck? We’re sticking together, aren’t we?” “This place is huge,” Jake said. “It’d probably be better if we split up. I don’t want my fourteen year old sister walking around here by herself so you’re on babysitting duty Hazel!” Before I even got the chance to respond, he took off. “Welp, let’s go Mina.” As we were walking around this hospital, everything was giving me bad vibes. It was old and dusty, the infrastructure looked like it was about to collapse, and I started seeing shadows following Mina and I. I didn’t want Mina to freak out so, I kept it to myself. I regretted that decision later.

After walking around for about 45 minutes, Mina says, “Hazel, I’m hungry. Can we find Jake so we can leave and get some food!” “Sure,” I said. I quickly turned her around because I didn’t want her to know the shadow was right behind us. There was no light in this place but, I saw a glimpse of it with my flashlight. Whatever’s here, it’s not good. I turned on my walkie talkie. “Hazel to Jake, I repeat, Hazel to Jake. Your sister is hungry so I’m taking her to the front so we can get something to eat. You ready to go?” There was no response. “Jake come in,” I repeated, “Mina and I are heading for the exit. Are you ready to go?” There was no response again. This is my fault. I knew it was a bad idea to come here and now whatever’s roaming in this hospital probably hurt Jake. “Let’s go Mina, I’m going to step outside to call the cops.” As soon as Mina and I reached the exit, the front doors shut closed. We were trapped! I rushed her to the nearest room and told her to hide under the desk. Mina nodded in agreement. I went to go lock the door of this room. I didn’t know what to do.

Not even 5 minutes later, I saw a large shadow pass in front of the window. Then, it kicks down the door! It was terrifying. That thing must’ve been at least 7 feet tall, with fur covering its body. I think it was a werewolf! I grabbed Mina’s hand and rushed out the other door in the room. I ran down the hall into the reception area and sat Mina and myself under another desk. I told her to be as quiet as possible because I knew that thing had followed us. Guilt rushed through my body once more. I knew I should’ve told Jake to stay home and now he’s hurt or even worse, dead! Now Mina and I are about to catch the same treatment as Jake. The monster busted through the door and towered over the desk Mina and I were sitting under. It wasn’t stupid, it knew we were sitting there. “You guys get scared so easily!” “What,” I said. I peeked up from over the desk and saw Jake, in a werewolf costume. “You guys should’ve seen the look on your faces! It was priceless!” I was furious. I thought I was going to die and also be held accountable for Jake and Mina’s death as well. I couldn’t even think of the words to say to him. So, I simply got up, and walked out.

Now, it’s three months later. Ever since that night I haven’t spoken to Jake at all. In school, I just walk past him like he’s nothing. If anything, this experience taught me to speak my mind more. I need to stop being shy and when I feel like I need to say something, I’ll say it. I’m not going to let more people walk all over me just like Jake did. Maybe I’ll speak to him again but, as for right now, he’s dead to me.