Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Ralph Ayala, Coates’ Critique

What I enjoyed about Coates’ work is the amount of details that go into describing the emotions of the characters along with the description of action scenes that are intense. I enjoyed how the story was describing the water as not only something that can seem so gently, but can also appear as dangerous as a situation Maynard was in. My suggestion is making the setting a little clear. I understand it was near a bridge but I thought that transaction towards Maynard drowning seemed a little confusing to me. A question I have is if readers are reading this story, what is the lesson to be expected? What purpose did Maynard serve as the “fool” in this story?

1. Alexsis

I also enjoyed the description of the water but at times I found myself wondering what was the purpose of all the details. The situation of Maynard drowning was a little confusing to me because I didn’t understand how he got to that point but I did understand what the author meant when he said he had always had to take care of Maynard.

2. Amani

The way you connected the good and the bad of the body of water was great! I agree fully with that. We see how calming the water was and then how frantically/quickly it took Maynard. Your question is good too. I wonder now what is the lesson here, if there is any.

3. Jason Jordan

I totally agree with you about the action scene and how interesting they can be. I enjoyed the lake scene and how intense it was going back from her and her brother.