Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Jourdan Chambers, LeGuin Critique

The Wife’s Story by LeGuin is a very odd, yet compelling story. This story is about a woman who marries and man that she met one day. Further in the story she can realize that he’s changing but she doesn’t know how. He starts to go out late, he starts to smell, and his own child didn’t want to be around him all of sudden. Then one day, the wife sees her husband turn into some creature. The creature attacks her but, she was saved by her sister who lived down the road. She shot the creature.

When I first started reading this story, I don’t know how or if it was just me but I immediately caught a Southern vibe from it. I don’t know, I could just imagine the southern accents and voices in my head while reading the story. It was also very descriptive. The author explained everything that happened in the story. However, I feel as the outcome of the story could’ve been very easily avoided. Of course the husband turning into some weird monster was inevitable but, the wife could’ve told someone about it. Or, she could’ve just moved away. After all, her own child realized there was something from with her husband and she still stayed. Also, her sister lived down the road. At the beginning on the story, the wife said that she was close to her sister so I’m sure could’ve told her something about her husband’s strange behavior. Other than that, I have no complaints about the story! I really liked how intriguing it was and it was able to capture my attention pretty easily.

1. DeAndre Badresingh

That was also a question I had for Le Guin because she did say that her sister was close to her so I found it very odd that she would put someone she just met over her sister. So, I agree because the story does let the reader question certain aspects of the events that took place.

2. Fnu Janvi

I agree that the story was really descriptive because it was written by first pererson that the reason. I also think the same that why didn’t she told her sister about her husband’s behavior?

3. Ralph Ayala

I agree on how descriptive the story is. Also, if there were certain actions performed then it could have helped the family stayed together. Perhaps she was just afraid to lose her husband.

4. Amani

I agree the story did have a southern flair, I said the same thing in my post! This tone and the descriptive detailing gave us all we needed for a good plot.

5. Joselin

I agree this story was descriptive and the author gave us a detailed story of how the characters were. The way the author described the husband towards the ending gave us a clear understanding that the character wasn’t human.

6. Moose

I agree on how descriptive the story was and it shows perspective. I enjoyed the big plot twist when the “husband” was actually a wolf.

7. Alexsis

I had never thought about that but now that you’ve mentioned it, I agree. The ending could have been avoided if the wife had spoken up or even confronted her husband about it. I wonder why she never did, could it have been because she was scared of the thought of losing her family?

8. Jason Jordan

I agree that when I first read It I thought It happened down south and I agree that this story caught my Interest with the descriptive nature.

9. JoharM

I agree with you on how descriptive the story was. It kind of felt like I already knew what was going to happen (besides getting jebaited and the werewolf story becoming a human story) but although I felt that way the story easily captured my attention and had me wanting to finish it.