Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Kevin Navarrete, Le Guin Critique.

The thing I enjoyed the most about Le Guin’s work was how it leaves the reader with so many questions at the end due to the somewhat cliffhanger ending. Fantasy stories aren’t my favorite but the story was interesting because it had a little bit of everything in it such as, suspense, thriller, drama and a mystery. The author was very detailed which made it easy to visualize things when she was describing things. I enjoyed the build up, to find out what was really going on because I thought the husband was cheating on the wife at first. If I could ask the author a question, it would be “why did the author keep it a secret?”, “was it because he thought she wouldn’t believe him or leave him?”

1. Jeffrey

That’s a good question, I wonder why the wife didn’t just ask the husband what was going on. She seemed to know about the cursed bloodline, but maybe that was only in hindsight after already seeing the transformation. If she asked about it, maybe the story would’ve gone differently. You think werehumans are *also* vicious monsters like werewolves?

2. Amani

I agree we got a lot of different genres/feelings throughout the story from mystery to a thriller. The author kept a lot of events secretive until the very end which made me want to keep reading.

3. Joselin

I agree, the author did build suspense which kept us thinking about the characters. Overall the story was entertaining and it does keep me wondering why the author decided to keep things a secret.

4. Christopher

I agree, I also enjoyed the cliffhanger because it leaves you to think about what is going to happen next and it also grabs the attention of the reader

5. Alexsis

I also thought the husband was cheating on the wife. I didn’t expect the story to be a fantasy story and I usually don’t like them but I enjoyed this one because I think the plot changed very nicely and it left me wanting to know more.

6. Jourdan

I agree! I don’t know why the wife decided to keep this a secret. I felt like if the wife and husband communicated a little more, he wouldn’t have ended up dead.