Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Joselin Vargas, Critique on Jones

Jones’s work was written with details and explains every little thing that happened during her first day of kindergarten. The imagery Jones put into the story hooked me into reading more. She explains how they passed through the streets and recognized nobody. Which really caught my attention as to where they were heading.

Something I enjoyed was the last part of her story, “And even when the teacher turns me toward the classrooms and I hear what must be the singing and talking of all the children in the world, I can still hear my mother’s footsteps above all.” Starting the first day of school is a memorable experience. Most people remember their first days of school and for others, it’s just a blur. I also noticed that the mom doesn’t take no for an answer and she seems really firm on the things she says. 

Some questions I had were why didn’t her mom explain that she wanted her to attend the first school they went to? Was she nervous for her first day of school? Did she have any clue what was going on at that moment?

1. Fnu Janvi

I agree with you when you said you really enjoyed the last part of the story and explain why because I also really liked the last paragraph, in that part you can clearly imagine what the setting could be, it was also so emotional and connected.

2. Alexsis

I also questioned why the mother was so insistent on her daughter attending the first school. I felt the opposite about all the details that were in the story because I didn’t feel more intrigued by all of them. Did you ever feel bored by some of the details or find them to be irrelevant at times?