This is my octopus! I named him Sky and he’s a reversible octopus that has a happy side and an angry side. His name is Sky because he has a sun on his head on his happy side and a moon on his head on the angry side. I use the two sides to show my moods throughout the day. If he’s on the happy side, I’m in a good mood and if he’s on the angry side, I’m in a bad mood. Sky is a gift that I received from a long distance friend named Brandon, who lives in Texas.

Sky means a lot to me because of my mom. My mom and I were always close. Even though she gets mad at me sometimes she still cares for me, and she really showed that loves me during this experience. I was sick since the beginning of January and it affected my mood. I wasn’t able to hang out with my friends or go to work. Sky was always flipped to the angry side because of this. Sooner or later, that sickness caused me to go to the emergency room. Seeing as it was my first time in the emergency room, I was really scared. I wanted my mom to be with me but the hospital wasn’t allowing visitors. The doctor never admitted me to the hospital but I had to stay in the emergency room overnight.

When I came home, I saw that my mom had cleaned up my room for me while I was gone and I really appreciated that. In the process, I noticed that Sky was flipped to the happy side. I asked my mom if she turned flipped him herself and she said she did. I asked her why and her response was, “I don’t want you to feel upset anymore. I want you to be happy!” I don’t know why but those words have lived in my head ever since my mom said that to me. Every time I look at Sky, I always think of what my mom said and I’ve never turned him on his angry side since I got home from the hospital.