Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Joselin Vargas, Critique on Anonymous

While reading “Whatever happened to ___” something that I enjoyed was the way the author described what she went through in detail. She gave us her personal story and what it’s like to be a writer who’s a mother, a wife, and a college professor. She explains how her husband was abusive towards her and his jealousy got the best of him when it came to writing. Women are expected to belittle themselves when a man tells them to stop what they enjoy doing. Its upsetting that their own spouses aren’t happy when they acheive their dreams. However she had enough when her husband “came in like a cyclone”, basically filled with rage. According to him she “gets away with too much”, some wives or women in general may have relatable experiences when it comes to a man making less than a woman. While reading the story one question I had when reading this was, why did she decide to remain as Anonymous? It captures my attention when authors decide to not put their names. Why didn’t she call the police when her daughter wasn’t near? Did she tell her family memebers or someone close to her about her situation? I thought this was an interesting story and can be inspirational for women who are currently going through domestic violence, especially during these times.

1. Jordan Bailey

I completely agree with you. Especially where you wrote that “Its upsetting that their own spouses aren’t happy when they achieve their dreams”. This stood out to me because it made a lot of sense and it was a good way to put it.

2. Christopher

I agree with what you said about the author going into detail about what she went through. I think by doing that she was able to show her emotions she was feeling when she was being abused by her husband and also her struggles. And also with her going into detail, I think that it will allow other women to be able to stay strong and be able to come out of struggles just like how Anonymous did.