Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Meet My Necklace

I have had this necklace for as long as I can remember. My first encounter with this necklace was when I was a young kid. I remember my mom putting it around my neck and telling me that the necklace would always protect me. At first, I didn’t pay too much attention to it because as a Hispanic child I would see other Hispanics wear the same necklace and I would just see it as a regular object. At first, I didn’t believe that the necklace would be a significant part of my life. But as I grew up I started to realize that the necklace was starting to gain meaning. I would find out that my whole family all had a necklace too and that it was like a tradition.

If I had the chance to give my necklace to someone it would probably be my future kids, just because the necklace holds a lot of value to me and I would like to give it to someone who I truly care about and love.

1. Amani

I think this was a nice object to write about, most families have traditions like this where they pass down a piece of jewelry or an item with a lot of significant. Can you describe more the meaning this necklace has to you?