Prof. Jessica Penner | D304 | Spring 2022

Dree-Nica Isemar, POV Story for Picture B

It was just another day for John in this new era: the pandemic era.  As he sits in front of his computer during another zoom call he looks out the window. There he sees corona viruses floating in the air, waiting to infect another person. They beckon him to come outside.

They say, “Hey, don’t you miss the outdoors? Don’t you want to come out and play with your dog?”

John looks at his dog Spot. He thinks that it really has been a while since Spot went outside to play. All Spot does is play with his ball and chews his bone in John’s tiny studio apartment in the city. The viruses words are very tempting, but he knows its a trap.

They continue, “ You humans have nothing to worry about, its just like the cold. Come on, get away from the screen, its nice outdoors, come have some fun. Plus don’t you need some more toilet paper?”

John looks at his  pile of toilet paper. After seeing the craze that went over people’s head and rushed to buy toilet paper, he had to get his own inventory before they sold out.

“Come on we’re not that bad. The news is lying to you, we don’t do that much damage. We don’t kill either.”

John stares at them and back on the screen. He’s chatting with his friends. He if he goes out the viruses will get him and he’ll become sick, and in the worst case scenario: dies. He’s seen first hand what they can do, he can not fall for their deception.

‘No,’ he thinks, ‘I have to protect myself. If I get sick who will take care of Spot? My friends will miss me. I can’t. It’s just for a little while longer.’

“No,” he says to the viruses, “I must not. I’ll know what you’ll do to me. Soon you guys will be gone.” He turns back to his screen and continues chatting with his friends.

“It’s a shame! An absolute shame,” the viruses cry out as they leave to find another victim.

1. Zevanya

I like how you made the virus alive in a sense they persuade John to come out. I enjoyed reading it because it reminded me when the pandemic first started and the city was in lockdown, me and my friends wanted to go outside and hang out so bad but we couldn’t.

2. Adrian Polanco

This was a perfect representation of what living with the covid era felt like. Wanting to go outside and being tempted to do something productive but stuck at home not wanting to get sick.

3. Tomas Biterski

Good story, I really enjoyed how you portrayed the coronavirus as a villainous person trying to deceive John in order to make him sick and kill him.

4. Allen Shen

My favorite thing about this story is the personification of the coronavirus. I assumed the picture only had images of viruses outside the window or something, but given other posts of the same picture it seemed you took the creative liberty of giving the virus a personality, which makes this particular story more entertaining

5. Aninda Das

i really enjoyed the story and how the impact of viruses were mentioned made this really good

6. Simi

i found this story very funny. How the viruses were tempting him to come outside by talking to him. That is definitely how it felt