Any student who wishes to take a creative writing at New York City College of Technology Should do these few things to get the best out of the class. First, attend every class, participate in class, turn in your work on time, give constructive criticism, and please do the cohorts peer review in a timely manner. Peer review will help both you and your fellow classmates. Reading other students writing, you can learn the different writer’s style. Attendance plays a huge part on the of your overall grades because the homework for the following week is always discussed during the class sessions. Absence will leave you uncertain about weekly assessments. The class can be fun if you apply yourself to the work.

When I enrolled in creative writing class, my first assumption was that I would have four essay papers to write throughout the semester. What I wished someone told me prior to the fall semester 2021 was that creative writing is free writing that needs road maps using descriptive words and dialogue to help shape the story. The Second thing I wish I knew before enrolling in the class was that I would be required to write more than four essays, but none would not need to be research papers neither would I need to write a five-sheet paper. Moreover, this class is a fun way to discover one’s strength and weakness in writing different genres of stories.

My most fond writing assignment was when I had to write about an event that happens and as a result my life had changed. There have been many factors that enable changes in my life, but the one that propelled me to do good unto people was the influence of one of my classmates in 1990. My former classmate was only twelve years old when she took on more house shores to prove to her parents that she was responsible enough to be allowed to bring me to the family’s home without an adult present. Looking back at that time has made me ask myself, if a twelve year could be selfless and forsake her free time to achieved approval from her parents only to help me to heat up my lunch at noon, what is too big or too much for me to do for someone else? I have learned that my experience from so long ago can also influence another person to show compassion to the people the encounter daily.

This creative class have encouraged to read but not just for the fun of it, but to notice how other writers develop their stories, what about their writing I can implement in my own writing and improve my writing skills. Being a full-time student, leisure time is scarce so, if time permits, I will continue to author short stories and poems while I apply the information I learned in this class.