Leviza Murtzayeva

Journal Assignment #3

ENG1141 Creative writing

Reflection on the Memoir

To reflect upon my written memoir I titles “Anonymous in New York,”  I can gladly say it was nice to reflect on my past and when I felt the most anonymous. It made it value my time and my efforts a lot more. It also helped me understand what type or kind of person I really am. It is a good thing to do since many people may question themselves upon how they may have felt uncomfortable or comfortable in their anonymous state and how they overcame that or how they become someone they are now. In some cases it may be a little painful to remember how much I did not want to move out and change my lifestyle because I was in love with my foreign country.

It is painful to remember the scene in the airport when I was moving, and seeing my grandmother waving goodbye. Also, it is painful to remember how much my dear parents were trying to help their children have a better life when we moved to New York City. We were a family of anonymous, did not have any knowledge of anything around us, no education of English and barely anyone who we can call a family that could have helped us out when we were in need. We have basically, began a completely new life from a fresh start, looking for areas to stay, areas to eat, to learn, to work, to go to when we want to hang out, and etc. Overall experience with the memoir writing was so what really meaningful to be, because it completes me as a person and shows what I have started from. It makes me value what I own now and makes me proud that I now have a name in this diverse big city.