Shania Marius 

December 15, 2020 

ENG 1121

Dear Future Students, 

Hi, I’m Shania and I’ve been doing this remote learning thing for only two semesters so far but I think I’ve sort of got the hang of things now. As a now seasoned student there’re a couple reasons as to why I’m writing to you, one of them being that this was an assignment and secondly I would like to bring you some insight to this course before you start. Now, one thing I will mention is, if you enjoy writing with true purpose then this course and its material is probably right up your alley. In this class we explored different discourses and the issues within these communities/niches. Specifically, the first unit assignment is where you’ll really delve deep into the discourse community of your choice. Along with the first assignment I would point to the third one as being a personal favorite because we got to use our creativity and passion to come up with a medium that would best express our topic to the audience. I chose to write a song on the issues college athletes face and it was the most fun I’ve had doing any assignment all year hands down. On the topic of having fun, this semester has really been far from that, in fact it’s probably the most stress I’ve ever felt being a student period. While I can be adamant and say it wasn’t in the slightest way easy it was however nice to have my peers there to constantly give me feedback on my work prior to final submission. In my eyes though you should really focus on topics that truly interest you when you get the chance to choose your own discourse community whether it be based on social injustices or gender equality. Please make SURE you like it enough to be able to stick with it throughout the semester. I promise it will be the end of you if you don’t and yes I’m speaking from experience. I hope that last part didn’t scare you but if this class taught me anything it’s that my voice really matters and writing is just another way of expressing it.