10/19/20

English 1121

Word Counts:400

Micro-Activity #13: Drafting the Annotations

Wbur, H. N. (2018, June 25). 15 Years After Its Creation, Critics Want To Abolish ICE. https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2018/06/25/immigration-abolish-ice

This Article focuses on immigration policies and how Ice are abusing their power and example is in 1996 a immigration law have the nations immigration agencies the power to deport larger number of people more easily because of this law now in present time ice is deciding to abuse it my targeting long term permanent resident who have committed minimal crimes and because of that 1996 law we see this huge spike in the deportations. In may of 2018 the ACLU of San Diego published a report on CBP and ICE abuses of children, both reports revealed rampant abuse which inflicted physical, Verbal and even Sexual abuse against these children and nothing is being done about it when complains are filed against these sciences they pay lip service to these complains and in most of the time they’re are found not guilty of any wrongdoings which is absolutely not correct and obvious abuse of power.  This has been an ongoing pattern. 

Reflection: After Reading This Article I felt shocked and surprised at the fact how ICE and CBP blatantly abuse their power to deport hard working long time permanent residents just because they did a minor offense years ago I agree with the article that ice should be abolished or that they’re should be new enforcements put in place for immigration laws and how they handle it in the United States because the way it is now it’s doing nothing but causing more harm to everyone. What this article tells me about my research question is that it further supports it and it gives me evidence and reason to why my question should be answered.  

Quotation: “Congress and the courts have traditionally taken a hands-off approach to oversight of the nation’s immigration agencies. And the bottom-line reason is that these agencies are dealing with noncitizens. They’re dealing with immigrants. That’s one reason. The other reason is that oftentimes immigration regulation is seen as a function of national security. And this is particularly the case after 9/11. And so Congress and the courts can say, ‘Look, we aren’t really going to pay too close attention to these immigration agencies because they’re defending our national security. So, in turn, they need a lot of leeways.’ “