Yaire Castillo

14 October 2020

ENG1121

Word Count: 178

I am the product of two immigrants. I live in Spanish Harlem, where there’s a variety of different races. Obviously, my community is surrounded by many undocumented people who unfortunately have a target on their backs. My interest on immigration detention centers sparked up the most when Donald Trump was elected as president and started deporting many immigrants. My interest grew by the day because I, myself saw ICE agents in Spanish Harlem just walking down the streets stopping anyone who fit the status of looking like an immigrant. I started doing my own research and realized that ICE agents are not only breaking up families but also destroying their mental health causing for many illnesses to be triggered such as PTSD. Immigration detention centers are cruel and inhumane. Nobody should be in such poor conditions with little access to a doctor in case of an emergency or access to a phone to call their families. The question I have chosen to do my annotated bibliography is, what are the effects that immigration detention centers have on people?