Yaire Castillo

29 September 2020

ENG1121

Word Count: 379

For this writing assignment, it was an amazing experience. I got to write a speech on something that I felt was important. I got to interview people and do research based on my speeches topic in order to let my audience know that I know exactly what I’m talking about. I loved writing a speech because I was able to really speak my mind and advocate for those who share the same discourse community as me.I found it a bit difficult to write this speech because I kept over thinking if it had all the components that a successful speech has. I didn’t want to write and have no impact with my words, which is why I made sure to really do my research and use good points for my topic. The speech, “What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July? By Frederick Douglass really inspired me to write a speech because I didn’t want to just address one person but a whole society. I wanted my speech to touch many people rather than just one person, specifically. Just how Frederick Douglass was able to speak his mind to a large audience, I wanted to do the same. I wanted everyone to understand and feel how it is to be a Latin Female in society.

A section of the Unit 1 assignment that I struggled to write was when I had to do some research about my discourse community. The assignment stated, “Research the problem you have identified and its solutions”. And It wasn’t more so because it was difficult but because it was truly hard to realize that women are being minimized so much. It was hard to accept the truth that being a Latin female comes with many challenges. Not only is it because of our ethnicity but because of our gender. It was hard to reveal the truth and accept the truth. I wanted my audience to understand that it is actually hard being part of my community, not that I hate it but I do hate the fact we are constantly being overlooked. 

Overall, if I had an additional 24 hours to work on the speech the only thing I would do to develop it is just do more research and re-read it.