Micro-Activity #8: Reflection on Unit 1: Investigating a Discourse Community

I like how I wrote a speech on the discourse community I chose because I felt like it’s a better way to express my point of view on my topic. If i would have written an essay, i feel like my words wouldn’t be heard as well as a speech would. A speech helps communicate to my audience on how I am expressing this matter. The same as how Douglass and A.O.C expressed the problem thoroughly enough to get their audiences attention. 

A section from my speech that was a struggle writing about was “Various slurs left his mouth and he angrily repeated to my mother that, “This is America” and that she “couldn’t wear that here.”. This was because it was difficult to write about something i have witnessed in my life and it was with someone who i know that went through it.  

If I had 24 additional hours to add on to my speech I would discuss a couple of solutions on how we can stop racism and harassment. I would also speak about more real life problems that happened to other people in this case. This is because people have to be aware of what’s happening to others in society today.