Quote 1: “Fellow-citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here to-day? What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? Are the great principles of political freedom and of natural justice, embodied in that Declaration of Independence, extended to us?” (Page 7)

Paraphrase: Douglass believes the Declaration of Independence doesn’t represent the black slaves.

Response: I agree with Douglass, the Declaration of Independence should extend to everyone, no matter the color of their skin or what race they are. 

Quote 2: “The sunlight that brought life and healing to you, has brought stripes and death to me. This Fourth July is yours, not mine.You may rejoice, I must mourn.” (Page 8)

Paraphrase: For Douglass Fourth of July is not his and it represents pain and suffering for him and his people.

Response: Douglass is right, him and the people he represents have a whole different representation of Fourth of July, it brings back pain and memories of lost loved ones. 

Quote 3: “Would you have me argue that man is entitled to liberty? that he is the rightful owner of his own body? You have already declared it. Must I argue the wrongfulness of slavery?” (Page 9)

Paraphrase: Douglass is basically trying to say that he really has to explain that owning another human being is wrong and unhuman.  

Response: Douglass shouldn’t have to explain that owning a slave is wrong, everybody is entitled to their freedom and should be able to do whatever they want. 

Quote 4: “What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July? I answer, a day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim.”(Page 10).    

Paraphrase: Fourth of July is a constant reminder of the injustice Americans slaves face.

Response: With everyone celebrating, Douglass can’t help but recognize the hardship him and his people are facing. Douglass and the American slaves shouldn’t have to face this.