After closely reading and listening to both informational pieces regarding the infamous speech spoken by Fredrick Douglass, he is clearly arguing against the truths behind the emancipation of his fellow Americans. Fredrick doesn’t believe the 4th of July accurately represents all of America instead he calls out the inhumane actions taken against people that share the same skin color as him. He repeatedly calls out those who use their American freedoms to unjustly persecute, enslave, and profit off African Americans.   

Quote 1: â€śThe rich inheritance of justice, liberty, prosperity and independence, bequeathed by your fathers, is shared by you, not by me …. My subject, then, fellow-citizens, AMERICAN SLAVERY. I shall see, this day, and its popular characteristics, from the slave’s point of view. Standing, there, identified with the American bondman, making his wrongs mine, I do not hesitate to declare, with all my soul, that the character and conduct of this nation never looked blacker to me than on this 4th of July”(7-8)! 

Paraphrase: Fredrick makes it clear that the freedom passed on from America’s founding fathers isn’t shared with African Americans. Instead of having equal rights along with emancipation African Americans are subjected to slavery which is why he doesn’t perceive the 4th of July the same way as others do and can only see it through the lens of being a slave. This massive difference doesn’t leave a good taste in the mouths of other slaves and results in deeming the national holiday dark.   

Response: This quote further supports my idea that Douglass is speaking against the truth of the 4th of July. He mentions slaves not having the same rights that their counterparts do therefore they cannot relate to the joy an “American” would feel on a day meant to celebrate emancipation. Realistically Douglass only sees one dimensionally because people that share the same color are still enslaved physically/mentally.  

Quote 2: â€śWhat, to the American slave, is your 4th of July? I answer, a day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim.”(10). 

Paraphrase: The 4th of July is a day that only further reminds a slave more than any other time of the year what injustices he faces which is constantly perpetuated by slave owners.  

Response: With everyone rejoicing and feeling happy because they’ve been emancipated from Great Britian slaves cannot help but recognize the battle they face every day. It ties into Douglass’s idea of not feeling the same amount of nationalism others do for the United States.  

Quote 3: “But I fancy I hear some one of my audience say, it is just in this circumstance that you and your brother abolitionists fail to make a favorable impression on the public mind. Would you argue more, and denounce less, would you persuade more, and rebuke less, your cause would be much more likely to succeed” (9). 

Writing Strategy: Douglass uses counterclaims, to take away arguments his opposers would rebuttal with.  

Explain Usefulness: Douglass already acknowledges points he knows will be used to counter so by doing this it makes it harder for people to find an issue with what he’s saying.   

Quote 4: â€śAn American JUDGE GETS TEN DOLLARS FOR EVERY VICTIM HE CONSIGNS to slavery, and five, when he fails to do so” (13). 

Writing Strategy: Douglass uses capitalization on key points.  

Explain Usefulness: When you use capitalization, you are putting emphasis on the things you want people to take note of, which leads to more engagement and persuasion.