Prof. Jessica Penner | OL70 | Fall 2020

Agenda: Week 1

Week 1: Wednesday, 8/26 – Friday, 8/28

Introduction: Course Overview & Tips for Being an Online Student

By end-of-day Friday, 8/28:

READING:

• Sign up for our OpenLab class site: if you encounter problems, please email me at eng1121.citytech2@gmail.com
  • Take a tour of our OpenLab class site: be sure to read the introduction to course, look over the syllabus, and open and review all course tabs/sections
  •  “Tips for Online Learning Success
  • Online Discussions: Tips for Students
  • Go here and sign up for your free subscription to The New York Times.

WRITING:

Quick Comments

• Go to my Discussion Question asking you to introduce yourself to the class and write a short response.

Micro-Activity #1: Introductions

• Write a post here in which you do the following:
    • List and discuss three pieces of information that caught your attention on the syllabus. These could be questions you have about grading or deadlines, comments on the online component, or observations about the chosen readings… really anything that catches your eye is fine.
    • Write a paragraph (approx. 150 words) where you discuss any questions or concerns you have about taking an online writing class. You can mention anything that confuses or worries you. You may also discuss positive aspects (either that you’ve experienced or that you foresee) about online learning.
    • Be sure to publish the post under “Student Work” and “Introductory Work” and tag the post as “Introductions.”
    • Not sure how to write a post? First, make sure you’ve joined this course (so you can post) and then look at this visual guide.

Questions? Want to discuss further? Visit Office Hours (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, from 1-2 PM via Zoom).

1. KevonDawkins

Kevon Dawkins
    8/26/20
    English 1121
    Words Count :206

Micro-Activity #1

“All activities information will take place in Open lab or Google Docs’ ‘ . I’m so excited because I took English 1101 last semester using this website only so I know the difficulties and the requirements that must be met.

Weekly Agendas-This will help me to be aware of the assignment/s as a result,have to be cautious and prepared to get ready for hard work and success.Having an instructor that reminds us of what to do is really helpful (childsplay) that we can have enough time to ask question/s based on any conflict we faced online remotely.

Reading assignments-I like this criteria that helps me in literacy to improve our speech and learn more synonyms and antonyms that we encounter/never learn in our daily reading.Another positive aspect of reading article/prompt/papers is that we improve our argumentation and persuasive writing.This helps us to cite evidence ,thesis and main idea of a excerpt/prompt.Only question I have is :How will peer reading accommodate knowing everyone has different times and unpredictable events(natural).My expectations are to learn new ideas and new aspects to evaluate more on my penmanship and Standard English.