1. Write a few sentences explaining which model you are choosing (the speech or letter) and why. The model that I am choosing between (the speech and letter) will be the speech because I find it easier to communicate to an audience. Based on Frederick Douglass, I admire him and his speech because he uses his social and communication skills to talk about the deeds of the patriots that are well known. What I also like is the way he throws his ideas right away from the top of his head which is something I plan on doing in my unit 1 speech assignment. Also, it’s writing like you talk not like an essay. With writing a speech, you can include quotes and mention examples, state facts and statistics based on your choice of topic.
  1. Answer this question: How do you think this specific genre will help you to make your argument? I think this specific genre will help me make my argument because my DC is about a golf club that I play and participate in. For my speech, I will talk to my audience as to those who play golf that should avoid the problems that I’ve encountered and solve them with the solutions that I’ve discovered.
  1. Describe your audience. Think about how or why this particular group may see you (the speaker/writer) as different or even less knowledgeable than they are on this particular topic. My audience will see me as different on this particular topic because I know that most of them don’t know how my DC community works as to how golf works. The reason why is because they come from a different background as to which I totally understand and it makes sense. They might not be as interested in this particular topic as I am and they might not agree with me on what I am saying. Although, me sharing my DC to my audience can hopefully try and make them understand my point of view.
  1. Create either an outline or a summary organizing your thoughts. Whatever you prefer to make clear (to you and to me) what the main point of your piece will be and how you will make your argument.

For my speech, I will do the following:

• Topic sentence ( What and why I’ve chose my DC of WIAGA Golf Club. WIAGA stands for West Indian Golf Association.
  • General background information on what WIAGA Golf Club is and how it works.
  • List the problems for my DC (WIAGA Golf Club) problems such as slow playing, cheating, etc.
  • Solutions to my problems. Solutions such as not playing more than one shot when necessary, taking too long to find golf balls, etc. (WIAGA Golf Club)
  • Influence my audience on why my DC is important to me.
  • What and why my goals are being accomplished based on my DC. Reasons why accomplishing these goals helped me in life.
  • Giving reasons/examples/quotes based on my experience with my DC of WIAGA Golf Club