Prof. Jessica Penner | OL12 | Fall 2020

Mico-Activity #3: Cindy Cortes Corona

The DC that I will be discussing is a yearbook. I didn’t talk about this but this is another DC that I was a part of. I had this class my senior year of highschool. Even Though most of my classes were not challenging, I found this class the most challenging. Even though it was an elective class, it felt like a serious class since we also had to do various presentations and peer work. Everyone in the class was strongly encouraged to do their best and show off their own creativity.The issues with this class will now be listed below.

Issue #1: Presentations

• Presentations in my opinion were always required in this class. Doesn’t matter if your page was completed or not. These presentations would occur once a week. These mainly occurred once a week just see how our progress is in the first week after getting assigned a page to do. Many students did not like this, and this was because many did not find it fair to only have a week preparing a draft for their page.

Issue #2: Pages approved by the teacher

• By the time it’s been 2-3 weeks of working on our page, we will have a final presentation about the page of course. We were both graded on our presentation and received feedback from all the students in the classroom. We were always able to present on any day that we wanted (voluntarily) but if no one gets up, then the teacher himself will pick randomly. And it didn’t even matter if we were prepared or not, but our grade will suffer in the end for not being prepared. 

Issue #3: Harsh criticism 

• A Lot of the time our teacher wouldn’t let those who weren’t prepared slide easily. So he would criticize the work so harsh to make the students realise that slacking off in this class is not an option. Many would learn from the situation but others would ignore it completely and continue to do the same as they did before. 

But it was always the teacher who made sure we were always on task on everything. Also, he would always ask everyone to see him during class time by his desk to review our work, mainly to give us pointers and references.

1. zhouxing shi

Hi, Cindy!
    After I read your journal. I think the teacher made the grading policy too strict. He is very demanding of his students. Meanwhile, this is an elective course in senior year, students are not willing to put too much effort on it, which also leads to students not following the teacher’s rules very well. I think this is the biggest conflict in this DC.

2. Andy

Hey Cindy,

that sounds so rude of your teacher to do that in HS especially in your senior year where your supposed to enjoy every moment of it. I see the issues in this DC were people aren’t always agreeing on stuff for example the students and teacher or not understanding well enough or not putting effort and time into what the real problem is.