Overview:

This website gives a small little history lesson about homelessness. It talks about how the modern day homeless problem really came starting in the 1970. That it is easy to think it started around the Great Depression, which was a factor, but that is not what caused the modern issue of homelessness today. It started with the policies involving housing in the 1970s. How affordable housing was becoming less of a thing for those in NYC who were poor. With the changes in the tax code for housing and other factors, this led to a rise in homelessness. Also, changes in policies for those who were mentally ill also gave rise to the homeless population. How the state started to shift away from in person treatment due to the scandal of how they were treated.

My thoughts:

I agree with the article. I think it bring up a lot of good information that I did not know about before. I think it does a good job at bringing up key factors that play a major role in homelessness. Those points being affordable housing and the influx of mental health patients no longer getting inhouse treatment. These are good starting points in thinking about how does solving homelessness has a trickle down effect on the community. Even though this is focus on NYC, it provides a good framework, since NYC is one of the top places with the biggest homelessness population.

Overview:          

This article is a government site talking about homelessness in all of America. It talks about the current data of how it raised again for another year in a row, and it is sure to keep going with COVID 19 having impact many people. This article also talks about how over the years there has been different types of focuses on the subgroups of homelessness, focusing on the children more. They also mention how men are more likely to be homeless and how those in the population who face employment disparities are more likely to be affected. The article also gives a bunch of charts and data to show who is affected by homelessness, and also mention how new money coming from the CARES act is going to go to help the homeless problem by providing assistance to families in need of housing.

My thoughts:

I like the information that is being provided. It is giving a nice overview of the homeless problem across the whole United States. It gives a nice up to date statistics and information about the homeless population. It talks about the different sub groups and how each is affected differently which I like. I do not like how it mentions how certain sub groups are more looked at and focused on then others, like the children population. I feel like that can be attached to another type of problem, to prevent it, but there are more adults homeless which should be the main concern. I also like how it talked about how recent legislation will do to help the problem.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/18/978244891/hud-growth-of-homelessness-during-2020-was-devastating-even-before-the-pandemic

Overview:

This article talks about homelessness in regards to COVID 19. It talks about how with homelessness being steadily increasing, the numbers do not yet represent those affected by COVID 19. The numbers are sure to go up when the data comes in. It also mentions how now after the hit from Covid more states and areas are opening up to seeing it as a problem and a housing crisis.

My views:

I think this article does a good job at showing that there is a big issue going on with homelessness. That it keeps getting worse and that is without including data from COVID. I think it help shows states are seeing it more of n issue of how housing is a big contributor to homelessness.