Prof. Jessica Penner | OL33 | Fall 2021

Week 2: Discourse Community

There’s a lot of material to read and digest in the Agenda section of the website, so I’m going to be brief. You need to read this first!

Without looking it up (we’re on the honor system here), define Discourse Community. Scribble it down on paper or open a document and write it down.

Okay.

Now, look it up. Type it in a search engine: “discourse community.” Put the quotes around it to be sure you are looking for the exact term.

So…was your initial thought correct or totally wrong?

If anyone wants to be brave, write your initial thoughts in the comments section. If this is something brand new, don’t worry–I didn’t know what the %@#$ a discourse community was until about a year and some change ago, and I’m way older than y’all!

So, that’s what we’re going to be reading and writing about. So, now go to the Agenda and review the material.

Got questions? Email me or come visit me in Zoom during my Office Hours.

1. Rabbi

“Discourse community is about a group of people who works together to achieve the same goal” that was my thought when you asked to write it down. But honestly last semester my English lecturer already talked about that. So that’s how I know about discourse community. Otherwise, I wasn’t familiar with it until last semester.

2. Ashley Gonzalez

When I first thought of the term “discourse community” I thought it meant a group of people talking about drama. A discourse community is not familiar to me so I googled it and apparently it means a group of people talking about their goals and their purpose in life. I never knew what the term discourse meant if I’m being honest.

3. Gerardo Ramos

My initial thought of discourse community was a community where negatively reigns the primary function of sticking people together. As we can see I was really off on my guess of the word.

4. adisa dumani

from what I could remember from the English class that I was in last year, I have heard of the the term “discourse community”. Although I don’t remember going into the depths of it with the class or professor I still have an understanding of the term based on the work we did in the class. “Discourse community” which means a group of people who communicate with each other on all the same/agreed on ideas and goals and how to be able to achieve these ideas and goals

5. Afroza

“Discourse community” is the people who works together in the society for same goals, communicate for same methods. I think this is really important because in the society we live together so have to think about what would be better for the society and people and so we have to communicate all together.

6. Jenny

Well, I never heard about discourse community. I have some what an idea what it might mean while I was reading the example using the word discourse community. It means in a group with a goal or an achievement I was reading the example over and over into I understood it.

7. Eric

From what I know or remember about discourse communities is when people who share a set of goals and would discuss ideas n,’ share what they have to say about it. In the reading John Swales defined discourse communities as “groups that have goals or purposes, and use communication to achieve these goals.” It could be where you’re at a circle of friends, families, workplace or any discourse group that share similar goals as others.

8. Valentina

My first thought of discourse community is that it’s a group of people that debate to such topics, I was totally wrong it’s a group of people communicating about their basic values, setting goals, purpose and using communication to achieve these goals.

9. Romuald Thomas

“A discourse community is a group of people who share a common set of views and values”. Before I searched it up, I thought it meant the opposite, a group of people discussing their problem, and drama involved. But instead their sharing the same interests and helping each other grow.