Prof. Jessica Penner | D438 | Fall 2022

Bianca Alcaide, My Writing Process

When I have a writing assignment I first have to understand what it is that I’m being asked to write then I make a note of the key parts I need to have in the writing. Then I write a draft and the first draft is just what first comes to mind when I think of a way to answer the question and I make sure it has the key parts in it. I leave it alone and come back to it a hour later and revise it and make a better version of it and I do this a few times before I either give up on it or I think I did the best I could on it. If I feel like it’s missing something but don’t know what it is then I ask someone to read it for me and give me any advice they have but majority of the time I like to do it on my own because in the end it’s my piece of writing and I want it to sound like it came from me and not someone else.

As to any changes I’d like to make to my process I think I would just make sure I have the piece finalized before I have to turn it in because sometimes I do tend to do them last minute. Something else I’d want to change is me quitting on a piece when I know I could do better.

1. Bianca A.

1. What have you decided to focus on for your education narrative? Why have you chosen to tell this particular story?

For my educational narrative I’ve decided to focus on me being first gen. I chose this because to me this is what led me to where I am now, being first gen affected me more than I thought it did.

2. What is the meaning/significance of your story? Why should people read it? Write this out in one sentence.

First times are hard but not impossible

3. In one word, how do you want people to feel when they are done reading your story?

Not sure yet

4. Freewrite details you remember about the situation you are describing: include people, places, dialogue, feelings, thoughts, etc. that are in some way connected to your story.

Second, review what you have so far and try to label the features of your narrative arc.

1. Exposition/Inciting Incident (who, what, when, where and how does your story begin?)

Me my sister’s parents

Education

From end of middle school to now

Home

Begins with me discussing background history

2. Rising Action (you should include a lot of the story details here)

Out of highschool asking about college

3. Climax (the moment of most drama and significance)

Three quit and I was the next one in line

4. Falling Action (what happened after?)

Gave in just to get it over with and so no more drama came

5. Resolution (what was the result of this experience? What is the significance?)

Going and having something to prove