Professor Jessica Penner

Reflection #2

Review the introductory course syllabi you looked at in class. What does this information tell you about what you should expect this semester? What information interests or surprises you?

Read and comment on another student’s post.

1. Marleni Jean-Baptiste

This syllabus information tells me what to expect. I should expect due dates being stated already. Also, the agendas from the class are already set. The information that interests me is that surprised me is that the schedule of what we’re doing is already planned out.

• Jason Birchfield

Yup, a lot of the schedule is planned ahead, but from my experience, there can be exceptions!

2. Adolfo J.

The syllabi tells us everything about assignments and exams from the beginning of the semester to the end of the semester. If for any reason we miss a day it is our responsibility to catch up. It is interesting how much information the syllabus will have because I remember my syllabus in highschool was not as specific so it’s relieving to know that if anything I can look back at it.

• Jason Birchfield

You’re right, the syllabus will tell you everything you’ll need to know. From my experience, some professors can be pretty flexible with the assignments and due dates, just don’t be afraid to ask!

3. Madeline Canales

I learned that in every class each professor is different. When receiving your syllabus look throughly and study before assignments are due. Honestly what I should really be expecting throughout my whole college life is to build up time management and organization this will help a lot.

• Jason Birchfield

Well said, time management is extremely important, especially for those study intensive classes!

4. Reese Carmona

I learned a lot in this review, I thought it was very beneficial for my future college success. I got to understand the importance of the syllabi for all the classes. I know that I’m going to write down all my due dates and assignments for every class to make sure I will have everything done. The syllabi will have all the exceptions for the students for the whole semester. I really enjoy the organization that the syllabi will have. I’m at my best when I’m organized too. Overall, this was a great review.

• Jason Birchfield

You don’t need to necessarily write all of the due dates down, but I like the enthusiasm. Just make sure you’re able to easily access it, so you can view it any any time!

5. Lizzie Quezada Cepin

The introductory course syllabi showed me that everything i needed to know before i start my classes like my course schedule, my due dates, assignments, finals and midterms. Some information that interested me was the policy between students and teacher being fair when it comes to grading.

• kevin25valencia

The grading policy is definitely something you would refer back to regularly. At some point, we ALL question our grades. That’s when the syllabus comes into play to provide some clarity

6. Julmide Mentor

The information on the syllabus tell you about everything thats due like the assignments, textbook that your professor will talk about during class and midterm exams. One of the information that surprises me is that you GPA affects your financial aids.

• kevin25valencia

Yeah, it’s a 2.0 GPA that you have to maintain. Keeping above that GPA is a bare minimum but if you keep consistent with your classwork, courses and remain responsible as best you can, it’s unlikely you will come close to that grade.

7. Cindy

This tells me that I will be the one to be responsible for my assignments. What interested me is how I will be in full control and get to be organized how I’m comfortable.

• kevin25valencia

You’re on the right track Cindy. stay organized always.

8. Tibisay Liang C

Hey, I go by Tee for short! The course syllabi was really insightful. I learnt that the syllabi is a great guideline that helps students with their coursework and time management. I should expect to be prepared, be able to know and expect things before hand.

• Jason Birchfield

Most professors add the syllabus a few days before the class, so it’s good to look at it and plan ahead!

9. Cindip

The syllabi helps us have an idea of how to be successful in that class and semester. The syllabi can prepare us and help us be aware of what to expect in the class. Something that caught my attention is that all the work and due dates will be provided on the syllabi, which will come in handy if you miss a day or don’t know if you have work for the class.

• kevin25valencia

Due dates are especially handy to keep track of. Time goes by super quickly so it helps to have those dates in front of you to keep you from losing track of time. Maybe put them in your calendar?

10. kamila garcia

The syllabi provided in the intro all provide a description of each class, as well as where to contact professors, a schedule for the duration of the class (when you have assignments, when they are due etc..). The thing that caught my attention was that there were resources provided by the professors for students to use. Overall my main takeaway was that syllabi will be one of the most, if not the most, important resource a professor can provide you because it has EVERYTHING.

• kevin25valencia

It definitely is important. If there is any change done to the syllabus, like a change of schedule for example, the professor should keep you up to date with that.

11. FerddyDuran27

The syllabi provided a very precise description on how to contact your professors and what will be needed for the first semester. Which in our case helped us get prepared for our freshmen year. I really appreciated how all the assignments and due dates get provided before hand, so in case of an emergency or anything we can turn in the work before hand.

• Jason Birchfield

Exactly! The syllabus is only there to help the students.

12. skylar

I learned that the syllabus is a key component to staying organized and planing ahead. I plan to regularly check the syllabus in each of my classes to ensure I am on track with all my assignments. It is where students can find information such as due dates, exam dates, and the professors contact information.

• Jason Birchfield

Exactly! As long as you follow the syllabus, you’ll always be ready!