Journal Week 9 – LED ordering woes

I’ve taken on the role of ordering most of the parts for our wearable LED jacket, and running into an unexpected snag – many of the parts I was originally looking at are out of stock. My guess is that this is tied into Halloween display and costume making, and possibly Christmas decorations, all of which have been using more and more LEDs over the years.

As such I’ve had to spend time looking for alternate sources or outright different components. To get at least *something* to work with I’ve placed orders with several different vendors, which has increased shipping expenses and complicated receiving of packages – since I’m in a non-doorman building and rarely home during the day, I try to ship via the USPS whenever possible, which is slower and runs the risk of the package not fitting into my small mailbox, which necessitates a visit to the post office (with a minimum 20 minute wait) the next day (if my schedule allows).

*Hopefully* I will have enough components by Thursday 10/31 so that we can start mocking something up, but I’m not sure that will happen…

This entry was posted in journals. Bookmark the permalink.