David Evangelista’s Lead Response for Week 4’s readings

Hello guys, this is David Evangelista and here is my lead response post where I have to supply you all questions to help you think about what to write.  Please remember that you are expected to write 400 words of writing but here is some more information to help get you thinking.  If you are confused at all, please be sure to notify me by commenting on this post and I’ll respond back as soon as possible.  If you also want to just skip everything, I’ve put in bold the questions that should help you on your journey toward the future.

Today we were suppose to read “As we May Think” by Vannevar Bush, “The Garden of Forking Paths” by Victor  Ocampo and “You say you want a revolution” written on the year 1991.  The three different articles talk about different subjects.  Vannevar writes about several different technologies that are being improved upon more and more every single minute.  Victor talks about a story of a man who finds himself stuck in a labyrinth searching for answers.  The story about the revolution talks about how big of an influence hypertext will have on us, especially if you put into factor hypermedia also coming into play.

If we link all three stories all together, using the forking path as a medium we can make a crossroads of sorts.  Picture yourself walking down a path to the future, similarly as the main character of Forking Paths.  You find yourself at a crossroad, but unlike the person in the story, you aren’t told to make a left turn at every possible path.  Instead, your two paths are the following:

“Technological advancements will continue to make our lives easier and bring us to a better tomorrow.”  

Then there is also the other choice:

It is better to forget and keep things simple since all these technological advancements are doing is making the world far too complicated and making this a world less enjoyable for our children to live in.”

Think carefully when making your decision or you may find yourself at a dead end at the labyrinth, also known as a writer’s block.  These questions below will also help you find the true path you shall take to reach the end of this maze:

“If we move forward with our advancements, how long will it take before the advancement we just made will become obsolete.”

“Will our advancements in technology ever reach a limit?  If so, will it reverse and end up as a medium to control us just as hypertext and hypermedia might?  Are we already being controlled to begin  with?”

All of you, good luck on your journey and hopefully I’ll see you all at the end of this maze.

This entry was posted in Announcements/Events, Assignments, David Evangelista, Discussions, LInkage-Borges, Bush, etc.. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to David Evangelista’s Lead Response for Week 4’s readings

1. This was a nightmare as I had to redo this several times due to poorly timed interruptions so I’m sorry that I couldn’t get this up any time sooner. I also hope I did this right since this was my first time doing this… See you all on the 27th! If you have any questions, remember to make a reply to this post and I’ll reply to you A.S.A.P.