Please take some time to explore this OpenLab course site. Use the top menu bar to explore the course information, activities, and help. Scroll through the sidebar to find additional information about the materials shared here. As the course progresses, you will be adding your own work to the student work section.
Join this Course
Login to your OpenLab account and follow these instructions to join this course.
If you’re new to the OpenLab, follow these instructions to create an account and then join the course.
If you have any questions, reach out via email or in Office Hours. If you need help on the OpenLab, you can consult OpenLab Help or contact the OpenLab Community Team.
I posted grades in Grade Center. See CLASS GRADE column.
Here’s the Grading Breakdown:
- Unit 1 Assignment, Educational Narrative: 10%
- Unit 2 Assignment, Annotated Bibliography: 20%
- Unit 3 Assignment, Exploring a New Genre: 20%
- Reflection: 10%
- Homework/Participation/DISCUSSION BOARD Activities: 40%
Credit/No Credit Option
Instructors are not involved. You all have received information from the school on this policy. Here is a link to the school page with information. I highly advise you to read through the whole page if you are considering this option:
- You can “opt-in” beginning Dec. 23.
- The last day to choose this option is January 13.
This is a new policy. Please keep double-checking dates and other information on the registrar’s page.
Happy Holidays and thanks,
You should be working on your Unit Three Assignment and Artist Statement.
EVERYTHING IS DUE BY 11pm THUR DEC 17.
NO LATE WORK. I WILL HAVE SUBMITTED THE GRADES.
1) EMAIL UNIT 3 ASSIGNMENT and ARTIST STATEMENT to email@example.com.
- Send Unit Three Assignment and the Artist Statement in SEPARATE FILES in the SAME EMAIL.
- Use a doc file. No pdfs. Nothing that requires passwords to open. (If I can’t open it and can’t reach you, it’s an F.)
- In case I can’t open file, COPY/PASTE both assignments into the email message.
- Must be EMAILED by 11pm Thur Dec 17.
2) Do the last DISCUSSION BOARD called Final Reflection.
- Must be POSTED by 11pm Thur Dec 17.
REMEMBER FOR UNIT THREE ASSIGNMENT and ARTIST STATEMENT:
You’re using the RESEARCH from the Annotated Bibliography, choosing a GENRE that suits your AUDIENCE, writing in that genre and submitting it with the ARTIST STATEMENT.
ARTIST STATEMENT GUIDELINES.docx
USE A WRITTEN GENRE SO YOU CAN INCLUDE TWO QUOTES FROM YOUR RESEARCH.
So, to recap, in Unit 3, you will:
- Write about the research you did in Unit 2
- Address the audience you think needs to know what you learned in Unit 2
- Write in the genre that best reaches that audience and use two Quotables
- Write a one-page Artist’s Statement that explains your process
Due by 11:59pm Tue Dec 8
1) READ (and POST on Blackboard): Reply to two student proposals. Comments should be at least 200 words. Please do not simply say “sounds great!”
Think about things like:
- A specific publication or website the author could write for.
- A question or comment to help narrow down the audience: “You say you want young people to read this, but there’s no publication all young people. Are you actually trying to reach New Yorkers?”
- A question or comment to help narrow down the genre: “There are a lot of different kinds of articles in the world. You could be writing for a newspaper like the New York Times or a website like Buzzfeed, and the writing is totally different for both. Can you be more specific?”
- You can also just talk about things in the proposal you find especially cool.
Remember—you don’t have to take all the advice others give you. It’s your decision (and you’re still responsible!) But it is often helpful to hear what other people think.
2) WRITE: Start working on Unit 3 – New Genre piece.
I suggest something written: Magazine or Newspaper Article, Advice Column, Brochure, Essay …
3) READ: Handout: How to Write an Artist Statement
File Under Content (Blackboard)
4) WRITE: Rough Draft of Artist Statement (at least 500 words).