My Favorite…

My favorite Architecture style…

New York City was the city that I was raised in, and the enjoyment of all the architecture began here. Manhattan has a few building of every style from the Georgian Colonial to the International Style. One of my favorite buildings growing up was the Museum of Natural History. I didn’t know about much about it I just knew it was huge made of stone and had a lot of nice things inside. Ever since then I liked the look of stone, columns and wide steps leading up to the entrance.it wasn’t till much later that my favorite style was Greek Revival and Romanesque Revival.

These two styles draw my attention because it makes me think and wonder how life was at that time. Also, that style was meant for places of importance and power.

A perfect building that has all of what I mentioned is the Pantheon. A Greek temple built to praise the gods of the times. The building has a huge temple front with 16 columns; to me this lets the building make a statement. When you step inside you step into this massive circular room. This gives it a different feel from regular rectangular Greek style of construction.

The dome itself is amazing; it looks very decorative because of the coffering. The coffering played a major part in the structural support of this 142 foot diameter dome. They lighten the structural load allowing the architect to have the opening in the middle of the dome. This opening is called the oculus and it’s the main source for natural light.

To me this style is a clean, classical, and for its time advanced. It’s one of my favorite styles, because like I mentioned before it makes me wonder about the way people lived in the past. To have these buildings still stand now is great, showing us where architecture once was and how good they were constructed. 

modellino del pantheon

This entry was posted in My favorite... and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.