The Empire State Building

New York City is well known for its many tall skyscrapers throughout the city.  People wonder how they can build so many of them close together and with a risky height.  One of the most famous buildings that represent the city is the Empire State building. It was built during a difficult time period but despite all the problems it had, everyone learned to admire it and fall in love with the building. The video shows the planning, the procedure, and the outcome of the Empire State building.

John Jakob Raskob had a dream of having the world’s tallest building ever.  He brought together his partners, chose a site, and began planning.  He hired Shreve, Lamb & Harmon to be the architects for his new building. It is said that Raskob pulled a thick pencil out of a drawer and held it up to William Lamb and asked, “Bill, how high can you make it so that it won’t fall down?” They started planning right away.  It was decided that the height they can build was 85 stories high with a 200 foot tall tower on top making it 1,250 ft high. 

Since the depression was hitting everyone greatly, people were motivated to work and help build the Empire State as quickly as possible. They knew there were people waiting for their position so they tried their best. It is amazing how they worked so quickly in a very dangerous environment.  In the video you can see them in groups of four men hanging from beams and passed hot metals to each other.  They were the true heroes of the building.

When they finish construction, there was a big disappointment.  It was a commercial failure and an embarrassment to Raskob. They were able to rent out only 30 percent of the building leaving 56 vacant stories and giving it the name, the empty state building.  It wasn’t profitable due to its location. It didn’t have enough competition to draw in new tenants. Despite of all the problems and critiques they had, a year later everyone fell in love with the monument.

The Empire State building marks the center of the island and became an important icon to the city. It has caught the attention of many throughout the world.  It is a beautiful and majestic building that lights up the city through the night. It is recommended to anyone visiting New York City to pass by and get to know the Empire State Building and its history. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m0TpUhylKc – Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiYn9d1CAto – Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8BkEBv1sKY – Part 3

This entry was posted in Digital New York. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The Empire State Building

1. This is a very nice building. I see why many people fall in love with it. I think people likes this building a lot because of it’s well site planning. It’s organization was well thought to be very functional and make people feel comfortable. This is one of my favorite buildings because it help me remember what is the Art Deco style. Every time I think of Art Deco style the first image that comes to my mind is the Empire State building’s ornamentation, that’s my way to remember it.