Deconstructing NYC History

The History magazine and the website serves to New Yorker’s as well as everyone else as a historical information guide of NYC. History is a source students should try to be familiar with for research and general knowledge, mostly for those who want to learn more about NYC’s architecture. Architecture isn’t just design but also a tribute to history to how New York City formed as a home to more than eight million people, leaving landmarks to cherish.

History’s website provides a variety of videos that inform us on the Eighteenth, Nineteenth and Twentieth century structures or locations and their history. Some of the structures they provide information on is Wall Street, Park Avenue, Federal Hall, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State Building, Grand Central Terminal, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.

The videos are short and simple and are about two to four minutes long. Within two minutes you are able to find out a lot of information about certain things that you probably never questioned or have questioned. For instance, every time I have went to the Grand Central Terminal I looked up at the ceiling and admired it. I never really thought about why the ceiling is a light blue color with constellations, I just assumed it was something from the Greeks. From watching “Deconstructing History: Grand Central Terminal,” I learned that it was first called the Grand Central Depot and the ceiling inside represents the Mediterranean sky; the October to March zodiac with a total of 2,500 stars.

Also in 1998, restoration began for a 12 year period to remove “decades of tar and nicotine from tobacco smoke.” An interesting fact is that one small dark patch still exists even after restoration. The next time I go to Grand Central Terminal, I will try find that dark patch on the ceiling if I can.

The videos that I have watched on this website have taught me a little more on the places that I have visited during tours and on my own experience. I feel that it gives a great visual and textual summary of those historical landmarks. It has also broadened my research skills and taught me more ways of being observative. These videos are very brief and informational, providing all the essential information you should know about. It’s a great website to go to for information on the select structures and locations just before a walking tour to them.

I suggest everyone to check out at least every video in the list on topics or locations we have visited during class as an overall summary.

Deconstructing History : Direct Link

http://www.history.com/topics/new-york-city/videos#deconstructing-history-grand-central-terminal

This entry was posted in Digital New York and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.