Eva Machauf | COMD 3501 OL26 | Fall 2020

WEEK 1: Introductions

Introduce yourself to the class by replying to this post and sharing:

• Your name, and if you have a nickname that you prefer to go by.
  • Your major and semester (i.e. lower Junior, upper sophomore).
  • About yourself (share as much as you feel comfortable doing), your background and your goals.
  • What you hope to get out of this class and how it will help you achieve your professional goals.
  • A photo of yourself (upload to your media and insert link address into post reply–note that this does not allow for resizing or cropping)
Print this page

1. Eva Machauf

I’m your instructor, Eva Machauf. I’m an Adjunct Assistant Professor at CUNY and in addition to this class, I teach ‘Introduction to Digital Design’ and ‘Typography & Layout’ at BMCC.

Prior to CUNY, I was on the full-time faculty in the Visual Communications Department at the Katharine Gibbs School, New York where I taught portfolio development, advertising, graphic design, and typography.

I have an MFA in painting from the New York Academy of Art, and a BA in Cultural Anthropology from the City College of New York.

My career path has been a winding one. Iā€™ve worked at a comic book store, as a programmer for remedial math and English lessons, a film set decorator and prop, and eventually as a freelance graphic artist for Bloomingdaleā€™s and the Ralph Lauren account at the Geers Gross agency. As Senior Art Director of the Creative Department at the American Management Association I oversaw a staff of designers and freelancers.

My design work is supported by my interest in photography and painting, the two being integrally connected to each other. My studies in cultural anthropology and mathematics have also been instrumental in my design work and in my teaching.

” />

2. Anna C.

Hello Everyone.
    My name is Anna. I am a lower senior with just two more semesters following this one.

I grew up in manhattan, but I enjoy exploring all of the boroughs. My hobbies range but painting, and photography are my go to. I also enjoy biking, my two cats, almost anything fantasy, watching anime, hanging with friends and getting a good bite to eat.

Through this course I hope to gain more skills and comfortability with the creative process.

When I started at CityTech I wanted to be a graphic designer/medical illustrator. Since then medical illustrating is still on my list of to do’s, but first I would like to work for an agency and gain firsthand experience.

file:///Users/annacrull/Desktop/AnnaC_Photo_Oval.png

3. Virginia Sanchez

Hello! My name is Virginia Sanchez. I am majoring in Communications Design, entering my third year at City Tech. I am quiet but friendly and enjoy watching Japanese animation and movies. Although I focus mainly on Graphic Design in my studies, I do illustrations in my free time as well. Through this class I’d like to create something portfolio worthy and refine my skills in the process.

4. Magi Hossameldin

Magi Hossameldin, Communication design, Graphic Design lower Junior
    I’m a Middle eastern urban girl, who loves to explore and meet new cultures.
    I hope this class makes me a better observer and I hope I get to know everybody.

5. Jerry Neira

Hi, my name is Jerry Neira, Iā€™m a senior with two semesters left to a bachelorā€™s degree. Iā€™m studying communication design. I want to get into the advertising business. Iā€™m into photography, illustration, and graphic design. My love for the creative world started back in high school with doodling in my notebooks. I have an associateā€™s degree in Liberal Arts Design Study. Iā€™m born and raised in Queens, New York City and my family is from Colombia.
    In my free time, I like to explore the city and travel to abandoned places. My friends and I like to go exploring for inspiration. I want to one day own a design and advertising agency.

6. Li Yan

My name is Yan, but just call me by my last name(LI). I’m a senior, Graphic design Major. I have one more semester left after this one. I hope to learn and improve my skills.

7. Carmen Tan

My name is Carmen Tan. I am currently a senior majoring in Graphic Design and is expected to graduate at the end of this semester. Before focusing on graphic design, I spent 7 years focusing on Illustration, mainly portraits and landscape. Through this course I hope to gain skills and knowledge in branding, and a portfolio piece.

8. Daniel Ortiz

Hello everyone, My name is Daniel Ortiz. My Major is communication design because Iā€™ve always been interested in illustration and design. My reading ranges from manga to science fiction.
    I consider myself a vintage toy collector. During my free time I like to draw, watch movies and play the bass.
    I hope to use what I have learned in this course and potentially apply it to my illustrations and designs. In addition, it will also allow me the ability to criticize and discuss about corporate identity design with other people.

9. Mariolys Rosa

Born on February 24, 1990, in a small town called ā€œVilla Ricaā€ in the Dominican Republic to a single mother Ana Araujo. At an early age, my mother immigrated to New York City. When I was 5 years old I moved to New York York ( Queens) and lived with my grandmother and aunt. I graduated high school and enrolled in a Berkeley college where I obtained a degree in Business Management. I currently attend City Tech, I am enrolled in the Communication Design program (BFA) with a focus on Marketing. While working as a product developer for a childrenā€™s apparel company. Moreover, growing up with split parents was difficult for me because I had to split my time between two houses and my parents didnā€™t have the best relationship after the split. However, today things are better, they have an amicable relationship which makes me happy and I am very close to both of my parents. During my free time, I enjoy reading, writing, and painting. One of my dreams to write a book one day. I have a few good friends that have been my friends for a very long time. I am not the most sociable person, I am surrounded by the same crowd. I am pretty content with my life at the moment but I wish that I had done some things discreetly. One of them is not wasting so much time trying to figure out what I should get a bachelorā€™s on but Iā€™m working on it today and thatā€™s what matters. Lastly, my main belief in life is that as long as your happy, things will fall into place. I think happiness along with discipline is a major key to success. Once I get my degree in marketing, I am planning to get a job for a big company while working on my book.